Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

60 hz power transformer to be tested on 50 hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigjoe

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The two power transformer 69/22.9kV and 230/69kV are both rated 60/80/100MVA designed for 60 Hz operation. However it will be tested on test facility were the available supply is only 50 Hz.

During short circuit test at the LV side the 60/80/100MVA rating will be tested for the lowest tap, nominal tap and highest tap (16R, N, 16L) each.

Question:
1. What must be current be to be injected on the HV side for each tap for each MVA rating at 60 Hz? (eg. at 60 MVA, I at 16R, N and 16L. For tap N it is 60MVA/sqrt of 3/69kV)
2. What are the equivalent values of these currents (60Hz) to 50 Hz? is there a formula for that? or standard calculation? (ie 60 to 50 Hz conversion or vice versa)

Thanks in advance

What is the purpose of this test?

The copper losses will be nearly the same for both 50/60hz, however on 60hz the primary voltage will be higher, but not by much. If you know the impedance of the transformer this is relativly simple to calculate.
If you are performing a single phase test you should excite it with single phase, and apply the 1.73 ratio if the primary and secondary are different (ie wye-delta)

johansen sorry for my late reply, got busy the past few days

the purpose of the the is Acceptance test, since the transformer is a newly ordered from the factory, so routine test, type test and special test are to be performed. to know the parameters of the transformer and its characteristics

i'm not sure what you need help with.... those weren't typos when you said 100MVA? you'll need around 500KW of power to do a copper loss test.. which should be unnecessary imo. I'd get a copy of the latest P&J transformer book and start reading....

yes thats correct its 100 MVA, that is the capacity of the transformer. prior to shipment the transformer should pass the routine test and type test.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.