Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there language for FPGA other than VHDL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avr_micro

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
language for fpga

Hello.Is there any language(such as c or basic)for programming in fpga,istead of vhdl?

Re: language for fpga

Verlog

no.i am searching for a better compiler such as c or basic.for example codevision for avr micro's is a c compiler or bascom is a basic compiler for mcs51 family.my question is this.Is there any other language that can translate c program to vhdl or verilog?

avr_micro said:
no.i am searching for a better compiler such as c or basic.for example codevision for avr micro's is a c compiler or bascom is a basic compiler for mcs51 family.my question is this.Is there any other language that can translate c program to vhdl or verilog?

It is not possible to program an FPGA with Basic or something like this in an easy way. You can not write normal programs for an FPGA. You have to program the HARDWARE (HDL = hardware description language) and not the software. That’s something totally different!
There will be programs (e.g. SystemC) to port C code into an FPGA but these are very complex tools and can’t be compared with Codevision, Bascom, etc.
If you would like to work with FPGAs take VHDL or Verilog and think in hardware. Thinking in hardware is very important to write a good code, to understand what your code will do and how your code is mapped (synthesized) to hardware.

Bye,
cube007

language for fpga

Verilog is best for the guys who design SW previously.

u can use system C and handel C
both are very much same in syntes.
but as they say assembaly is best for programming
same is true for vhdl and verilog when it comes for fpga designing.
hock

you can use Matlab/simulink .. and accelchip ($30,000 solution!)
But otherwise you can use java .. and xilinx's forge .. you can simulate in a java virtual machine and later compile with forge.

avr_micro said:
Hello.Is there any language(such as c or basic)for programming in fpga,istead of vhdl?
**broken link removed**

language for fpga

You can System-C or Handle-C to program with FPGA or CPLD but this software is not free. You can search this software in search engine. But I think that VHDL or Verilog is best than other language

Look, the task in hand is already difficult enough with existing tools using either VHDL or Verilog. Object oriented HDLs, System C and Hendel are not for newbies. Even the most experieced harware engineers tend to shy away from these newer technologies. The reason is simple, they know more about the existing problems with the toolset. The more abstract your design becomes, less control you would have on it. VHDL and Verilog at least give you some leverage on tailoring the design but the new software programming like languages have yet to settle and take their apposite place. Until that time we got the two major HDLs and we still need to learn the basics before we migrate to something fancy.

I fully concur, if you haven't designed hardware and you merely think in software domain, programmable loigc may not be the best thing to do for you. Gotta have hardware inclination.

delay (delayed by technology)

Status
Not open for further replies.