Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which option is best? Usb or Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

cool.man

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i wanna know that which one is best for industrial application. USB or CAN.
I have to create a network based on anyone of these.
can someone provide me help about this,what r industries standards usb or can.

Depends on the application you want to use. CAN is mostly used in industries for many reasons like - easy implementation of the communication protocol whose is very much similar to any other layer 2 protocols. Can be easily integrated to work with real time ethernet network. Can be used without the use of a host computer for a large number of GPIO devices.

Thanks natraj20
I am planning to use different sensors and link them with microcontroller, I have to decide the sensors would be CAN based or USB based.
I have searched the net and find that CAN is best for implementing,industries are widely using CAN protocol.
Provide some more details so that i choose anyone of them.

vote for CAN ,if it is industrial!

How long are the cables? USB doesn't go very long!

In CAN, basically there is a saturation between speed and distance. Bit rates up to 1 Mbit/s are possible at network lengths below 40 m. Decreasing the bit rate allows longer network distances (e.g., 500 m at 125 kbit/s).

@ pk_volt
The cable length's are within 10m

@ natraj20
ya i know about the distance,

would any of you tell me about some sensors based on CANbus protocol,so that i can directly interface them with microcontroller, for example temperature sensors, gas flow meter, water level sensor's.

also you should consider the interfacing with the PC issue, its not easy to interface CAN bus to a PC, and for sure you will need a converter to convert from CAN to any standard PC interface like USB, if you aren't working in huge field and distance between sensors and PC and quite small (few meters) why not using USB interface, less complex and will be easier to interface on the PC side (i mean software wise), beside if you want something that is suitable with long distances, in the mean while compatible with a standard PC interface then I'd recommend ethernet, specially its now common in the industry.
the CAN interface mostly preferred by the automotive guys where they don't have to deal with PC much, while what I understood from your post you need something you can communicate with from PC.

the CAN interface mostly preferred by the automotive guys where they don't have to deal with PC much, while what I understood from your post you need something you can communicate with from PC.

Yes, it is true. I had seen rs485 for industrial applications.

USB is more complicated, and isn't really considered "real time"

you can use CDC class, so it will be so easy to interface using the usual COM port API's.
regarding real-time issue, yes, I agree with you, USB isn't that good for real time applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.