Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Beware of Counterfeit Max232 from China

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctownsend

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just received a shipment of some RS232 to TTL converters from China exactly like the ones here.

**broken link removed**

Out of the whole shipment NONE worked. When I attempt to send a string of chars with an 8051 to the terminal @ 9600 bps, it overruns my serial port on the PC so bad that not even another working device will work. I had to reboot the PC a few times in order to straighten it out.

Upon further investigation, I replaced the "max232" with a real one, and it worked every time. I did this for a few others and they also worked.

The chip itself has markings on it "MAX232 CSE +1027".
They were a good deal. I should have known it was too good to be true.

Thanks for the heads up.

Many fake manufacturers from China are doing that! :x Sparkfun also reported similar ancient with ATMega328: SparkFun Electronics

I suspect that many of the electronic components sold by Chinese eBay sellers are counterfeit. The prices are just way too good on many of these parts. China is the land of reverse engineering, and I'll bet a good percentage of these parts, while they might work well enough, are not genuine.

Microchip microcontrollers that sell for a fraction of the retail value have me wondering what the score is. I'm tempted to order some and send them to Microchip for evaluation.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/188333/

I know of a few guys who got burned buying a large QTY of avr's from china (one guy bought 500 pcs!). They lost alot of $$.
In my situation, these items quickly appeared, immediately lots of ebay sellers flooded the marketplace. It seemed to happen overnight. I bought quite a few of them, and not even one is working.

Hopefully ebay will stand behind their protection policies that they claim to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back