Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

keypad project-3x4 keypad to 7 segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad92620

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project that requires me to use a 3x4 keypad to put a number on a 7-segment display. I am trying to figure out what chips i need to use to be able to press a number on the keypad and have that number locked in and be able to press other numbers with out it changing the numbers until i reset the circuit. I believe i need an encoder, 4bit register, and decoder between the keypad and the 7-segment display but dont know which ones to use. Can anyone help me please?

Last edited:

There are many approaches here.

If you are using a matrix keypad (such as found on a telephone), one is to use a 74HC922. It has a "data available" output that could be latched through an external gate/FF and reset circuitry, to implement the lockout feature you desire. A BCD to 7-segment decoder chip is necessary to provide your display.

dj

thanks but what is the 4 bit register that is needed to lock the number on the 7-segment display.

There are display driver ICs that include key scanning capability. The ones in this chart are for LEDs: **broken link removed**.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back