Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Universe from Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that any grown man that thinks that the aliens are going to kill us all is stupid

professor hawking

Did he really say that ?

jack

he said, and i quote, “To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,”

“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

I remember a statement about such things by a British author back around 1950. He postulated that human nature is so preverse that if civilizations existed on other planets, they would very likely treat us just as badly as Europeans treated other civilizations, such as those in Africa.

All of the science fiction television programs I can remember had the space aliens doing harmful things to people. There was even an Avengers episode with such a theme.

One common aspect of some of these episodes was that the space aliens suckered earthlings that were too clever by half into helping them with the promise that they would not be dominated. In every story the suckered earthlings were the first to be dominated or eaten. They were too dim to realize that if there was no cooperation, there would be no domination at all for anyone.

This must be a common belief.

It’s pretty normal to speculate on possibility of an extra-terrestrial life in the view of probability: if what we can see with the Hubble telescope, most of stars on are really not stars but galactics and that there are billions of billions of billions of them, the chance of finding similar planet and life based on carbon/water is – statistically speaking – quite real, especially if what we know the whole visible universe is made of the same matter as the earth and us ..

Hawking is a mathematician, so statistics is not strange for him, the rest is just pure speculations ..

Hawking: Aliens may pose risks to Earth:
Hawking: Aliens may pose risks to Earth - Technology & science - Space - msnbc.com

:cool:

Reactions: DrWhoF

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I look at it (after many decades of both science and science fiction reading) like this:

1. What we know of the composition of the universe and the sheer numbers
involved make it more likely than not that there are many alien races out there

2. Any alien race that can actually get here in the first place will be so far advanced from us in all areas that we will seem pretty primitive at the very least

3. Some of them might be nice and helpful as is the nature of intelligent beings we know of

4. Using the same logic others might be downright nasty by simply doing what comes naturally to them

The nice ones we don't have to worry about
But if just 1 of them is nasty - we become extinct on the spot.

Sending out probes into deep space is a very stupid mistake I suspect.

jack

This must be a common belief.

it's not that this is a common belief, i agree that it is, i'm just saying that people worship stephen hawking, an think he's the smartest dude in the universe, i mean, i think he's pretty smart, but because he believes this, i discredit what he has to say.

The basic explanation to this question is explained in elementry quantum mechanics. It is called "nothingity times infiningity". i.e. zero times infinity gives something, if and only if energy is provided through another realm.

The basic explanation to this question is explained in elementry quantum mechanics. It is called "nothingity times infiningity". i.e. zero times infinity gives something, if and only if energy is provided through another realm.

Frame of reference. Indeed.
It's an interesting problem.

If our frame of reference is everything we know of - what exactly
is this "nothingness" from whence matter appears to spontaneously appear?
Quantum theory can predict it but as so aften the case - cannot yet explain it
in "real" terms.

Frame of reference is an area I believe will produce some fascinating results
if studied more. I suspect gravity may be releated somehow. Far more
likely than phantom "dark matter" IMO.

jack

A few days ago the BBC news web site, science section, had a story about dark energy making the universe flat. Therefore we cannot assume that it was flat before dark energy was created.

DrWhoF

Unfortunately there is zero evidence for either dark energy or dark matter.
In fact - they both belong to science fiction right now. Like string theory
en-toto we have a massive circular arguament for the entire concept.
Thats good science fiction maybe - but very poor science.

jack

The Grand Design by Stephen Hawkins. This book will shine more light on your understanding of this question.

DrWhoF

Does time realy exist?

If we see better, this post is writen almost one year after post above, and they are next to each other, but if we disable time and date field people will not know when this posts are writen. They will just see post exist and their listing.

If we make timemachine to go in future and past is it time measuring useless?
What if in universe someone exist, and use such advanced device to pass through 1000 years in just our 1sec?

Last edited:

Our universe is mostly space in which big (relative to our bodies) particles (stars, planets… etc) are moving.
Also, the matter of our universe is mostly space in which very small (relative to our bodies) particles (nucleus, electrons… etc) are moving.
The matter of the atomic universe is therefore mostly space in which tiny particles (you name them…) are moving
We can go on the same way and say that the matter of each universe is formed by space shaped by the motion of particles (the dimension ratio of two successive universes could be seen as earth/electron for example).
I am not sure if I have succeeded in explaining the theory of universe levels. But if one gets its main idea he will see that our actual universe (level 0), we perceive, may be just a grain of sand in a much bigger universe (level 1). And the universe said of level minus 1 is simply the known atomic universe in which its matter in turn is formed by the universe of level minus 2 (mostly space and moving particles)… and so on.

Conclusion:
Our existence is actually made by space only, but thanks to the motion of the ultimate tiny particles of the universe minus N (N is likely a large number approaching infinity), all universes of –N+1 and above are able to exist.

Kerim

Last edited:

Conclusion:
Our existence is actually made by space only, but thanks to the motion of the ultimate tiny particles of the universe minus N (N is likely a large number approaching infinity), all universes of –N+1 and above are able to exist.

Kerim

speculations ..

:wink:
IanP

DrWhoF

Hi IanP,

... And the world will have to wait for this "speculation" being adopted in serious researches to fully discover/understand the mechanism of the energy propagation in vacuum (based on this theory an absolute vacuum doesn’t exist, only a relative one) which in turn will lead us discover the realm of what we call gravity field. I mean the mechanism that a mass detects the presence of another mass remotely even via vacuum.

Kerim

Personal note: I had to travel to USA, about 35 years ago, to work in this field but I preferred staying home since it is hard for me to work under the directions of others which is typical in America and I was rather young. So I started my private business instead...

Last edited:

the galaxy as consume it i find it exhibiting something similar to that of 3 d disc in any pattern may it be regular or irregular
but scientifically there is no evidence how the entire universe exists its shape is nearly unknown and so there is no point in arguing about it and talking craps about others belief kindly stop this business

the galaxy as consume it i find it exhibiting something similar to that of 3 d disc in any pattern may it be regular or irregular
but scientifically there is no evidence how the entire universe exists its shape is nearly unknown and so there is no point in arguing about it and talking craps about others belief kindly stop this business

JS, before you posted did you even bother to watch Lawrence Krauss's lecture? Which is what post #1 is about!! if you had, you would learn that the WMAP (Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe) launched in 2001, and from a orbital position that held the earth to shadow the sun (as the sun is a pretty big noise source) spent 7 years mapping the Cosmic Background Radiation. Calculations from this mapping has determined the flat universe.If this is contrary to your belief, then your belief is crap, and no I don't see "belief" as sacrosanct, if its crap its crap. Spade is a spade.

now reading "A Universe from Nothing" Lawrence Krauss. The video is good, but reading it is better too......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back