Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADC only Capacitive Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMSlo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microchip recently put out a PDF describing how to use only ADC for Capacitive Touch Sensing. It works on the voltage divider principle. I stumbled upon Cap Touch while looking for something else and became very interested in it.

My ultimate goal is to use thumb tacks stuck in a wooden board for my shop switches.

I now have this procedure working. It is written in JALv2. I will not try to learn assembly again.

The sensor I am using is a piece of aluminum foil about 1 1/2 square under 1/8" / 3mm Lexan.

The code works with this set up. It may or may not work with another type of sensor or even if the wire is lengthened. I have already tried with a thumb tack and it does not work.

I have a statement in my code that say "if measure < 175 then" meaning the sensor has been touched. The 175 is the problem. I want this number to adjust according to the capacitance in the sensor. I have a line of code that should do this but it does not work and is commented out. The line is Average =( (average * 15) + measure )/16). I know my code shows an 8 for the * I made that mistake when I put it back in for this discussion.

When I leave this line in the code the program the numbers go crazy and it locks down on touched with very small numbers.

I cant handle 10 bit math. Look at the line "measure = ADRESH + ADRESL. I get an 8 bit number from this probably left justified. I don't know what ADCON1 defaults to.

To sum all this up I would like to get the average thing working and maybe get 10 bit adc resolution.

I am attaching the following files,JAL, ASM, HEX, 01298A PDF and a picture of my breadboard setup.

Attachments

• 16f88ADCTouchCap-LCD.rar
    6.4 MB · Views: 123

Average =( (average * 15) + measure )/16)

that would work.

and you can even change it slightly to multiply once.

I cant handle 10 bit math

measure = ADRESH + ADRESL

your chance of getting this done is nil if you don't know how to do 10-bit math.

Status
Not open for further replies.