Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC Offset at the output of OPAMP used for Differential input

Status
Not open for further replies.

surendramalu

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am using a LMV321 OPAMP to amplify the difference between two audio signals, basically using it as a differential OPAMP. But I have powered up the OPAMP with a single supply. I do not have -ve supply available in my design.

When I bias the non-inverting input of the OPAMP with +Vcc/2, I get the same DC offset at the output of the OPAMP.

How do I get rid of this DC offset? decoupling caps at the OPAMP input and output do not help, nor does a high pass filter.

Thanks in Advance,
Surendra

You could simply capacitively couple the output (connect to the next stage with a series capacitor). When working with opamps on a single supply you usually need to reference you signals to some point other than ground. In your case you have picked VCC/2 which is fine, but the output will also be relative to VCC/2. You cannot shift it down to GND if the output would then need to be below ground.

Keith

Hi,

When I bias the non-inverting input of the OPAMP with +Vcc/2, I get the same DC offset at the output of the OPAMP.

Yes, that's the only purpose of the input bias. Otherwise, your output cannot swing around a fixed dc operating point (in your case: Vcc/2).
Ask yourself why you have biased the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.