Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Digital communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

persistence911

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I had a bachelors in physics and now doing a masters in communication . I am having some problems on the digital communication course could anyone advice me on which books I could read to catch up.

I meet some discussion in Bernard Sklar books on probablity. I really did not have the oppurtunity to take Probability and random processes as a course I took probablity and statistics instead . how can I catch With the rest of the class . any good book recommendation for someone with a physics background would be appreciated.

Make sure that you have grasp of Signal and Systems or Linear Signals and Systems etc

A good book is authored by Oppenheim, another is authored by Carlson.

Once you are confident with this, move on the digital signal processing. Have a look at Understanding Digital Signal Processing by Richard Lyons directly if you have some background knowledge about signal processing (basics). However, Oppeheim's Discrete-time Signal Processing is perhaps a better buy (Lyons one is too basic & doesn't explore maths much)

Finally, :), try Sklar - I'm sorry but Sklar's book is a good one. You might also want to check Dr. Ian Glover's book of DigiCom. I have not gone through it myself though.

I agree to Communications_Engineer
Oppenheim is always a good buy. Excellent books.
Plus, I can also say that Andrew J Viterbi boks will be a good second option.
I recommend, If you are gonna start with Signals and systems and then DSP or DTSp, use books by same author.
Plus these books are too big and will be a bit diffiult (not discouraging) to study two different cources. So once you buy the books, do ask us (in this post) which chapters to refer mainly for Signals and sys. Coz if you read all, its very much time consuming.

---------- Post added at 03:16 ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 ----------

I can also recommend highly, to download the podcasts from itunes or Mit opencourseware regarding Principles of DCom. Google mit opencourseware.
Hope that will help. Its just simply AWESOME. Learning on the move.

Thanks for thee advice .
Are you saying i should study these course in this order first to have a good grasp of digital communication.

1)Signals and system
2)Probability and random processes
3)Digital Communicatioin

Could you guys give me pointers on which topics I need to study under the first two modules I have listed above to be able to understand the communication class.

Thanks

@Persistence911

Ahh... You seem to be confused and horrified dear.
I'll try to explain you.
See I am very unclear that what exactly you intend to do in Digital Communication Course.
DComm. is a vast fiels and it encompasses many books under its belt.
Digital signal Processing (DSP ot DTSP) is diffeternt than (simple) Digital Communications. (Often also said as Principles of digital communication)
If you could tell us what exactly you need to do we can guide u better.

For now,
Digital communication: In itself encompasses its basic principles, channel/source coding techniques ( encoding techniques), Digital modulation/Baseband modulation and its techniques, Error performance and its correction techniques, INFORMATION THEORY and CONVOLUTION CODES...

DTSP: is all about fourier transformations, Z-transforms, Laplace (a bit), Signals and their systems (Mainly digital--can also be continious digital), their transformations basically, And a big chunk of LTI (LINEAR TIME INVARIANT SYSTENS).
For this you will need to know Signals and systems... (And according to me even probablity is not needed that much, Correct me if I am wrong)

My say: If it is DTSP what you want to do, buy both SIGNALS AND SYS. AND DTSP by Oppenheim.
My gut feeling says that your course says you to do DComm. (Principles) as they wont directly jump to DTSP.
Still check
Ask for further help.
Glad to help you

My digital communication course contains topic like Informatioin theory and channel capacity; source coding; Maximum likelihood receiver Error correction in dig transmission, matched filter With some random signals and variables, Digital Modulation and their power, Gaussian noise, First and Second moments in the time domain and the domain of realization

Ahhh... Now we got it straight.
You are learning principles of digital communication. (All the following 3 are fantastic) (I personally used Taub and bernard)
Digital Communications-Simon Haykin, John Wiley Publications
Principles of D Comm. -Taub and Schilling, THM, 3rd edtion
Digital communication, Bernard Sklar

Also try (I dont know abt them)
Princi of DComm, Robert Gallager
'
Error Control Systems for Digital Communication and Storage
by: Wicker B. Stephen, Stephen B. Wicker (This seems to be nice, still cross check)

Ok... Good luck

thanks guys for all the advice . i have found a book by simon haykin signals and system. i plan reading the book to like chapter 4 which is application of fourier representation to mixed signals classes. before i proceed to my digital communication course am i going the right way.thanks akshay_d_2006

Heres the file

Attachments

• Principles of Digital Communication-Robert G. Gallager.PDF
    4 MB · Views: 106

Status
Not open for further replies.