Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'Local periods' of a sinusoidal wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

^shapeshifter^

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I'm trying to solve a following problem:

Let's say that we have some data that has been created by sampling some sinusoidal wave (ie. a wave that "looks" like a sine wave in which frequency is changing over time in some unknown manner - it is still a continuous function, has values between -1 and 1, but sometimes it is "squashed", othertimes it is "widened"). What's more, our sampled data might be a little bit noisy.

What is the best way to estimate where each of the S-shaped part of this sinusoidal wave (by "S-shaped part" I mean something that looks like part of the graph of the standard sine wave on the interval [0, 2*pi]) has it's begining?

I tried to use autocorrelation and FFT, but using it on entire data is not a good solution, because a frequency of given sinusoidal wave can change over time. Tracing points in which the sine wave is crossing zero isn't good as well, because the noise can create some artificial points in which noised sinusoidal wave is reaching zero.

Have you got any ideas how to solve this problem efficiently?

PS. A good model of data on which we are operating can be build using the following Matlab functions:

WAVE = sin((0:0.01:8*pi).^1.75);
NOISE = 0.5*randn(1,length(WAVE));
WAVE = WAVE + NOISE;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back