Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrical components of a kids electric car

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_65

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am looking to build a small electric car for the kids and am interested in finding out what components I would require, I am looking for a list of the type of items I should be researching further.

I am thinking of building a 24v system, using something like old mobility scooter motors (one motor on each of the rear wheels). I was also thinking of using a pedal that the kids press down to drive the car, and perhaps a switch to put the motor into reverse (if it isnt too difficult). I am wanting the car to be as fast as a fast walk (say 10-15 km/h), and have enough battery life for at least 30 mins of constant use.

So I know that I will require two motors, and some batteries, can anyone provide me with some further pointers on the components I should be looking for?

Should I have a PWM to allow the variable speed and reduce some heat to the motor or should I leave the speed to a switch under the pedal?

Is there any websites that can provide me with some further information? I have tried a google search and most results are trying to sell me the cars and not explaining how to build one.

Any help from the community is greatly appreciated.

Matt

Should I have a PWM to allow the variable speed and reduce some heat to the motor or should I leave the speed to a switch under the pedal? PWM would be a better choice.

---------- Post added at 05:15 ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 ----------

PWM generation
Use microcontroller:**broken link removed**
Use Timer:PWM using 555. - Jose Pino's Projects and Tidbits.

More on PWM: Introduction to Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) | Netrino

---------- Post added at 05:17 ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 ----------

**broken link removed** -> Motor driver

Thanks John, I notice the H-Bride link you sent is for a 12v motor, would this circuit be able to supply power to a 24v motor, or should I be looking for a 12v motor instead? I am not attempting to break any land-speed records and only speified the 24v motor as that is what I found more inforamtion on in my earlier stages of research.

Thanks heaps for those links, I will check them out and hopefully they will get me pointed in the right direction.

Matt

you can have 24V motor, just need to find the right MOSFET on the H - bridge :)

since it is a kids car , can an electric scooter be modified for a car?
with minimal modification , kids car will be ready(!)
just my thinking(or idea?)

Status
Not open for further replies.