Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cadence RTL Compiler fails to do enough incremental optimization at large design

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhipeng

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I synthesize smaller blocks (synthesized to ~200k standard cells) with "synthesize -to_mapped -effort high", everything looks fine. The design gets mapped and many rounds of incremental optimization operation (incr_delay) are done, the final synthesized design is very fast.

Now, I synthesize the top level (should synthesize to ~600k standard cells) all at once with the same script "synthesize -to_mapped -effort high". The designed gets mapped, and only a few rounds of incr_delay are done, the final synthesized design is slow. In the timing report, there are a few critical paths with intermediate devices labeled with (p).
(p) : Instance is preserved but may be resized

Any suggestions on how I could push RTL Compiler to do more incr_delay? Thank you.

Hi zhipeng,
incr_delay is nothing but fixing timing violation on path based. If you see incr_delay is called less time mean.. timing is almost fixed. you will see very less n prefix instances in design..

I cant understand ,why u want to call incr_delay many times..

Hi aravind,
Thank you for the reply. The problem is, when I synthesize the top level, it runs with few incr_delay, but timing is not fixed...

When I synthesize module A or B, many rounds of incr_delay in the log, at the end timing is almost fixed, critical path delay is about 400ps.
When I synthesize a top-level module (consists two module A and one copy of module B), the critical path is the same, only a couple of incr_delay operations were run, at the end timing is not fixed well, many instances along the critical path are (p), critical path delay is about 700ps.

Hi Zhigeng,
I cant tell u clearly , why -700ps delay appearing in top level. there may be many reason on it..
In cause if u turned-on set_attr tns_opto true / .. u can try switch off this.. and do resynthesis. This will focus to reduce WNS ..
Also try to use latest RC10.1 version..

Best of luck..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back