Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Describing the stop bandwidth of a filter using S11 and S12 parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

snkhan

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
while considering the stop bandwidth of a filter one should describe in terms of S11 or S21.

Re: S11 Vs S21 @ Filters

It basically depends on the application. S21 provides the description of the filter, while S11 (matching) in the stop is upon the application specifications.

S21 provides the description of the filter

So if i want to describe the bandwidth of a filter, should it be describe in term of S11 or S2

Both.
In an ideal two-port loss-free network |S11|^2=1-|S21|^2.
You must just check the band in which the |S11| is below a specified value
(e.g. |S11| < -26 dB).
That range of frequency is the passing band.

Filter bandwidth is defined by S21. To match filter in a circuit you should use a filter by low S11, (S11 ~ 0). I agree with Aleksej.

s11 characterizes the filter when looking at the input. s21 is a characterization of the through and insertion loss. To add more confusion, there are numerous definitions of bandwidth that are often applied. Decide which one you want.

I think the bandwidth be measured in S21 similar as group delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back