Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RS 232 Serial Communication

Status
Not open for further replies.
cwt said:
If i purchase a normal cable and i interconnect the TxD and RxD pin to test the sending and receiving of bits, will this work even it is not between two comps?

It should work. This is how usually local loop back test is carried out. To do this you may have to short RTS and CTS pins locally.

Thanks ramesh...

That means..i just need to care about those 4pins (TxD, RxD, RTS & CTS) and the signal ground pin in order to have a simple serial communication. Is that so?

If i am doing the local loop back test, how should i take care of the signal ground pin??

cwt said:
Thanks ramesh...

That means..i just need to care about those 4pins (TxD, RxD, RTS & CTS) and the signal ground pin in order to have a simple serial communication. Is that so?

If i am doing the local loop back test, how should i take care of the signal ground pin??

You don't have to worry about signal ground pin for loop back test since it is within the a single computer. It is a common ground reference for the TxD, RxD, RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR etc., and is used when you connect two computers to have a common ground reference for all the above signals.

tcsa35 thanks for your suggestion..however i'll stick to visual basic since i have not enough time left to learn C lauguage.

Thanks ramesh!

Ok, i am going to start doing my interfacing software. So when i start the VB what should i select? The standard EXE? Active EXE? Or any others?

*i want to use MsComm to do my serial communication.

I think the Visual Basic 6 is the easyest way. In the VB development environment, the MSCOMM has the full ability is realize what you want.

Hi everyone..thanks for all the helps...
Now i am able to interface with the serial port.
Thanks you all...
God bless you all...

MSComm activex in VisualC++

I am trying to do a c++ aplication to interface with the serial port. I want to use MSCOmm activex with VC++, but I have several problems with some types of variables, specially with VARIANT variables.
Could someone show me some code of this application?
Thanks.

alphi said:
Pls ref this book "serial port complete",you also download this book from edonkey.

Sorry. I dont found this book at this site. Can U post it? And I dont know wat edonkey. Sorry.

I used windows API to program in VC6,
It is like reading and writing a special file.

hi all,
I need to write an application to interface a RS 232 serial port to a camera n write a program in VC++ on windows XP to control the motors of the camera with 2 weeks. And I have absolutely no idea how to start about it as I have never dun any serial port programming. It would be great if anyone of u can help me out by telling me where can I find any demo projects or worked out examples or could anyone please direct me to those urls.
Thanxs,
Priya.

hello, you can try MSCOMM module, it is well described in MSDN or
use standard windows APIs for controlling a serial port

h**p://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnfiles/html/msdn_serial.asp

for more details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back