Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I scan a PCB to BMP file and convert it to Cadstar PCB format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resistor123

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a PCB that I need to copy (company that produced the original PCB have stopped trading).

The PCB has no components on it (components have been de-soldered).
PCB is two layer.

Is it possible to scan the PCB (creating a BMP file) then convert to Cadstar PCB format?

What software do I need?

Has anybody done this (using Cadstar)?

Re: Cadstar BMP to PCB

Scan2cad can make Gerbers out of a scan of the board, then use Starturn to import it into cadstar.
You will then have to place your own components and tracks over the top of it to recreate it.

Re: Cadstar BMP to PCB

Do you have a cadstar circuit diagram of it and parts in the library? these will help.

How complex a pcb is it, if it is multi layer and complex then you have no chance, (the chinese are good at reverse engineering boards lol).
even if you use scan2cad to create gerber files then use starturn (a costly add on) then what you get in will only be figures that you can place your ratsnest
components over and follow when tracking in he embedded router - because you cannot see the figures in the external router.

Unless it is really important the components go in specific places then I would simply redo the board completely. Important components that have to go into important places
can be put there by using the information that tells you where they are from other sources.

You may be wasting time & money trying to import a scan into cadstar - it may be better to start again or try using the services of someone
who is expert at reverse engineering like the post that was removed, it all depends on how important the board is and how soon you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back