Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Heatsink Thermal Resistance Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikehZA

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have some Aluminium flat bar that I would like to use as a heatsink. Is there a way to calculate the Thermal Resistance (deg C / W) based on surface area or volume? Regards, Mike.

It's basically the surface area, that matters. In addition, the surface orientation (horizontal, vertical) plays a role. Without forced cooling, the heatsink action is based on air convection. A vertical surface allowing a free convection has a slightly lower thermal resistance for this reason.

The heatsink material introduces additional thermal resistance., particularly when using thin sheets, or generally large length/cross section ratios. The material thermal resistance adds to the heat sink to ambient thermal resistance, but can be often ingnored in a rough estimation.

As a rough estimation, I would expect a thermal resistance of 5 - 10 K/W for 100 cm² surface area.

the way to measure it is too use thermal paste to connect a power resistor to it and get it dissipating.....then you measure the temperature difference between ambient and the bit of the heatsink nearest the resistor..........then you get you kelvin-per-watt value

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, it's surely the best method to get the thermal resistance of a given heatsink geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.