Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

display 0-12v battery voltage on LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhhsssmmm

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello guys

i just want to know the math equations that will be needed to go into my C18 code to display the battery voltage from 0-12V on LCD.

Of course the battery voltage is scaled from 0-5 volts and im using a 10bit adc on PIC18F2420 with VDD as the ref.

MY head has worked out following to put in my C code for the necessary scaling factor conversion.

1 / [(R1+R2)/R2] .... lets say this inverse results of value X

ADC voltage at PIC pin (0- 5V) = X * ADRES .... lets say this product results of value Y.

Now Y is the actual voltage from 0 to 5V on the ADC pin. This of course represents the scaled 0 - 12V via the potential divider.

Now what is the next step after this to get the value of Y to represent the value from 0 - 12V for the battery voltage so i can display
on LCD??

what must i multiply or divide to get my desired result?....

im lost...plz help

Thanks

Haseeb

you should scale the input voltage so that it can be adc'd by the mcu between 0 - 0x3ff, corresponding to 0v and 12v.

so, you can map any reading of ADRESH:ADRESL to a voltage between 0 and 12v.

all it is required now have been taught at elementary school.

Hi,

Let's say :

R1+R2 = 10k ;
Vo=Vin/3;
R1=6.7k;
R2=3.3k;

you can now measure voltages up to 15V and you have to multiply your result with 3 ...

ex. mikroc c language :

Vin = Adc_Read(0); // Read from channel 0 (AN0)
mV = (Vin * 5000) >> 10; // mv = Vin x 5000 / 1024
mV = 3*mV // multiply with k=3

Status
Not open for further replies.