Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

which will be the next killer application/product

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwu

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
history belongs to pc, PDA,mobile etc,

but now and the future?

jimwu said:
history belongs to pc, PDA,mobile etc,

but now and the future?

with huge capacity of novel flash rams and dense hdds, and novel wideband wireless connections, i think, some altogether products, such as a video-mobile, playing shows, recieving and sending live videos of both sides; with gps, showing your position on the globe precisely, and even recieving satelite channels. and, very compact.
+i thing io2technology's novel display could make some sort of starwar technology posiible :).

marti

I think the next goden product is apply in HOME , Like TV/ audio application ; Digital TV or Home-networking

Hi,

If you want to make money, try to build a hand held universal terminal with this functionnalities :

- UMTS phone with audio/video.
- Included PDA like applications with voice recognition (organizer, mp3 player, video player, internet browser, send/receive email etc.).
- Payment possibilities through WiFi.
- One week of autonomy without recharging.

That all for a price arround 300 - 400$. This the kind of terminal with which you will be able to do everything and without you will be able to to do nothing in a few years.

Software Radio is the future!
... joined to some smart phone terminal (a kind of pda/cellular with multiple functions) = multiple communications standards and multimedia characteristics (audio, video)

so, look for Software Radio and Digital Signal Processing :)

new production with good audio and video experience will always welcome

I believe that the next killer application will be the digital home media products which might combine many things together, such as wireless network communication, multimedia, etc.

High Definition Digital TV will bring many new entertainment at home with DVD, games, audio, PC will use it for display (notepads are too small, but too heavy) ... and host later for home appliances, links will both be wireless and power networks.

prodigal said:
I believe that the next killer application will be the digital home media products which might combine many things together, such as wireless network communication, multimedia, etc.
I also bet on such product. think about a device that combines computer, TV with a very big screen, broad band internet with a relatively small remote control. you can shop with it, talk (video conference) with your friends, check your Emails, watch and record your favorite programs at any time and of course surf the net.

people are a fickle bunch to understand, as to what is the next major product out there, i honestly dont know, but i do know that there are plenty of gimicks out there that a lot of people tout as the next big thing, if you are looking for something that is going to be the next big thing (in terms of making money) i would advise you to look into batteries, ok not as glamourous as the ipod, but hey all of these portable products that everyone "must" have have to run on something right? develop a rechargable battery with no memory, very very long run times and it will be used everywhere in every mobile thing, just look at intel's recent acquisition.

I think hydrogen fuel cells and better batteries will be a big thing in the futurre.
Everything is getting battery powered and smaller and smaller at the same time, so it's important with very efficient rechargable batteries or fuel cells.
Digital class-D amplifiers are also getting very popular at the moment and there's a very big market for power efficent digital amplifires.
It's only in recent years that the quality of digital amplifiers have reached the same sound quality level as analog class AB amplifiers.

The IP-phone market will also expand enourmous in the comming years. Until now it has mostly been sold to big companies, but now they start to sell it for the private market.

Digital TV and HDD recorders will also grow a lot I think.

But if you want to make a real killer application/product, you should invent something that haven't already been mentioned, these things have already been developed and is starting to sell now.

Beer Can Holders for Transwarp Conduit Vehicles :)

Regnum said:
Beer Glass Holders for Transwarp Conduit Vehicles :)
Speaking of beer glasses, I saw someone made a beer glass that automatically warned the bartender via wireless connection when the glass was almost empty, so the bartender could bring the drinker a new beer before he ran out of beer.
That must be a killer product - or maybe someone just gets killed from drinking :wink:

this is funny... i am not sure where to begin...

the next killer app is the one that will keep you ALIVE! that's what i believe.

anyway, to get serious this is a list of killer apps in the brave new world. This is a random order.

1. 4G
2. fractal processing (fractals based on golden ratio patterns)
3. batteries based on hyrdogen / methane
4. superconductivity at room temperature (bad mother f)
5. time travels using slingshot singularities
6. teleportation :evil:
7. quantum computing
8. brain process modeling and "real" AI (some advanced/future form of fuzzy)
9. security apps
10. human/humanoid distinction tests
11. humanoid/robotics engineering
12. handshake protocols for ET communication 8) .... and GB processing
:wink:

the_real_man_penetrator©

interesting opinions. I will not argue over this fact that it is often difficult to predict the market. well the list of potential big hits which we don't have their technology yet is endless, but I assume that original poster was interested in foreseeable future.the technology of all big hits that I can imagine now were existed for a long time , but it came as a big hit because someone found a new application for that existed technology. we do not have the technology of some of the above suggestion or the technology is not sophisticated enough. I won't argue against economic potential of hydrogen fuel cell ? but is the technology ready for marketing (for example to see fuel cells in our mobile phones)? I don't think so. car manufacturing companies like BMW spend loads of money on this technology but it is unlikely that we see such technology widely available in near future.
on the other hand broad band internet is growing very fast and even many developing countries are expected to have the infrastructure in 5 years or so.
it is hard for me to think that this technology only be used to surf the net faster. many(not all) big hits of market have one thing in common they became a culture. they are not absolutely necessary for us, neither they essentially make life easier for us, but we buy them because they are part of our society culture.

Bluechem said:
I won't argue against economic potential of hydrogen fuel cell ? but is the technology ready for marketing (for example to see fuel cells in our mobile phones)? I don't think so. car manufacturing companies like BMW spend loads of money on this technology but it is unlikely that we see such technology widely available in near future.
Actually the Japanese companies NTT DoCoMo and Fujitsu Laboratories has just shown a 3G mobile phone charger powered from fuel cells, they will start selling a mobile phone charger with a more compact design in 2006, so there's not a long time to go. I 2007 we will se the first mobile phone with the fuel cells built in.
These fuel cells are not based on hydrogen but a 30% methanol concentration.
The fuel cell cotains 18 ml 30% methanol concentration .
Read the news here:
**broken link removed**[no]=486
http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php?story=20040930020158121
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

The other day I also saw a cylinder lawn mover prototype running on hydrogen fuel cells on the news; it was almost completely noiseless.
**broken link removed**
The lawn mover is devloped by Danish Technology Institute, together with the Danish lawn mover company AL-KO Ginge.
Watch a 2 minutes TV clip of the new lawn mover shown at a local Danish TV station 27/9-04. Remember to turn on the sound so you can hear how silent the lawn mover is.:
**broken link removed**

AL-KO Ginge's web site: **broken link removed**
Denmark's Technology Institue's news about the lawn mover: **broken link removed**

The developer from Denmark's Technology Institue said in the interview that the technology is still too expensive, so we we probably have to wait 1 - 3 years before we will see it in any real commercial products.

The future is near :)

Anything that we replace oil, and energy savings have a brigth future !!!
So, track the attached electronic in those fields ...

I will bet on Fuel Cell. One of the application is to replace electricity generator, which is noisy and produces bad smell. In Asia, many hawkers use generator to power their stalls. The emission from the generator is not pleasant and it's noisy.

Another one is high power LED like LUXEON. One of the advantage of LUXEON is it can lit up immediately.

For PC, the future is definitly multi-processors low cost board and maybe CPU :twisted:
This is the cheapest way to multiply flops 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back