Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help with plotting ratio of complex variable functions with MATLAB

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbeyromy

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys..need some help with MATLAB.

I want to draw a graph of magnitude of
(40*cos(x) + i*54.77*sin(x))/(54.77*cos(x) + i*40*sin(x))

where x is x=0:pi/20:4*pi;

I am just getting a graph for single value and not the complete x domain. Can you help me here?

Please find the attached file for graphs of numerator and denominator seperately.

Thanks for the help!
Hemanshu

Attachments

• Q2.25.doc
    124 KB · Views: 110

If you are interested just in the magnitude regardless to the phase, simply let:

y = abs((40*cos(x) + i*54.77*sin(x))./(54.77*cos(x) + i*40*sin(x)));

then plot(x,y)

You can notice that I've used './' to divide numerator by denominator. This means the division will be done element-by-element and not as a matricial form.

hey albbg, thanks for the reply..
Actually I tried .\ and the result was as expected. So what exactly is the difference between ./ and .\
I intend to divide num by denominator only

Are you sure the result you obtained is what you expected ? '.\' means left-side division then in your case: Num.\Den = Den./Num

Yes albbg,

The graph that I am getting matches with the solution... so thats why I was confused...

Well thanks for your help!
Hemanshu

Using simple math, you can write the amplitude as:

y = sqrt[ (a²*cos²(x)+b²*sin²(x)) /(b²*cos²(x)+a²*sin²(x)) ]

where a = 40, b = 54.77.

this means y(0) = a/b ≈ 0.73

if you make the calculation with matlab using './' for x = 0 you will obtain 0.73; using '.\' instead, you will obtain 1.37 that is 1/0.73.

Since the solution (using './') is a sine-like waveform, the inverse will be again a sine-like but shifted along the x axis.

Status
Not open for further replies.