Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

best GSM/GPRS/GPS module

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoaspilet11

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

I am currently evaluating which module to use..

Here are my options

1.) Simcom SIM548
pros:
- there is just 2 voltage rails + VRTC(battery). VGSM = 3.4 to 4.5V; VGPS = 3.3V
- I read some hardware and firmware specs; it seems easy to use

cons:
- connection to the module is via board to board connector. I dont really understand how the module should be connected into an application board. should the components side of the application board will face the upside of the module?? the module has a metal protection on teh upside

- since the module is obviously to be mounted in a vehicle and vehicle is constantly jerking and moving the connector will be the weakest link

2.) Telit GE863-QUAD / PY
pros:
- theres a python interpreter in the module so i picked it :)
- it is a BGA module.. so the issues of connector are solved

cons:
I dont unsderstand the CMOS 2.8V on teh data sheet. does it mean that all inputs to teh module should be at 2.8V not 3.3V shich is my app board is running

I havent seen the cost of Tel it.

Anybody who came up with this issues before I would be glad if you could share ur experiences and whats teh best move for this issue.

Thank you,
neo

I am using the Sierra Wireless Q26. It seems simple to use after getting use to the API and it cost approx. $40 US for the Q2687. Most the example code can be provided by the supplier. I also consider the sagem module HiLo but haven't use it in anger.

Well I am still worried about the quality of low-cost modules made by Simcom.

The board-to-board interface connectors are standard in M2M industry. They're designed to be durable and they really hold the module on its place. Besides the modules do have additional mounting holes to mount it with the PCB. The B2B connectors are usually made by Molex, who is no. 1 for this.

IMO the Telit modules are leaders in quality and support along with the Cinterion modules.

I don't know, what's your application, but if you prefer BGA mounting I would pick the V2 version of GE864-QUAD module, which is equiped with the Python as well and it even has higher range of supply voltage, that will fit your PCB.

See it here Telit GE864-QUAD V2 Module - GE864Q2D002T001 - Wivia.com

If you plan to use your application in cars, Cinterion has the AC65i (with Java) and AC75i (with EDGE) modules, that are designed for the automotive.

See them here:

Cinterion AC65i Quad-band JAVA module - L30960Y1000A220 - Wivia.com

Cinterion AC75i Quad-band EDGE module - L30960Y1000A220 - Wivia.com

The biggest problem in automotive use are the changes in power supply. I especially mean the peaks and falls when starting the engine etc. Be sure you have handled this to avoid problems, such as reseting or freezing.

Hi! I'm wondering if GSM modules can support SPI interface, and if some does, what modules can do it. Thanks!

Hi! thanks for your reply!
If a gsm module supports SPI interface, how do you control it? is it still controlled by at commands? I have used Spi in controlling an SD Card and a Real TIme clock, but i'm still confused with it.

Hello Ryan,

by the Cinterion modules, the SPI is managed through AT commands. TC65i module can handle it through Java APIs, the same applies for the Telit's module and Python.

Hello Ryan,

by the Cinterion modules, the SPI is managed through AT commands. TC65i module can handle it through Java APIs, the same applies for the Telit's module and Python.

so, i send the at commands via the spi.. i'm still a bit confused.. i guess i just have to try it.. thanks a lot!

Hello friends,

I am new to this forum and also to the this field. Can any one tell me which is the "Best GSM/GPRS module (like SIMCOM, wavecom, cinterion,neoway, telit etc) " avaliable in the market. My allpication uses more of GPRS than GSM. ie., sending data to remote server via GPRS.

Thanks in advance
Esha

I also use q2686 from sierra wireless, and for gps i am using u-blox6q which is a very best gps receiver in my opinion.

Theres a new module of SIMCOM called SIM908 and it seems to be very good, even better that the sim548C that i use... (i'm looking forward to have one on my hands)...
Have anyone tried this new GSM GPS module?
Thanks

Can anyone please tell me whether I should buy the development board of SIM900 along with the module or should I just buy the module and implement it on the PCB myself?Is it possible since I have to make the project cheap and the development board of the SIM900 is very expensive?

These prices are too high. That's the real price.
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back