Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to create date and time stamp using PIC18F4550

Status
Not open for further replies.

elrayes

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

Does anyone know how to create date and time stamp using PIC18F4550 microcontroller, googled this issue but got nothing.

Thanks

which kind of timestamp do you need?
a unix timestamp (secconds since unix epoch)?
a fat timestamp (32 bits? 16 bits)?

a custom timestamp?

firstly.... do you have a working RTC (internal implemented or external)?
or from where do you get the date and time info? (year,month,day,etc...)

Thats very good question.
I have read about RTC little but not experienced in them, however I'm trying to get a time/date stamp including month/day/hour/minute/seconds if it is possible, its doable on PC, but on microcontroller dunno the chances.

Yes you can do it with a RTC and microcontroller very easy, I use it in one of my loggers I use the date/month/year/hours/minutes/seconds and log them to an EEprom/SD card. I think it cold be done by using the 18F4550 with some code to count hours and increase the date then the month but this would be a litter harder to work out.

But it all depands on what language your using :grin:

use functions from time.h to get time and date info and store it anywhere you'd like

This is usually done with the addition of an inexpensive real time clock (RTC) chip. There are many, many types available from various manufacturers, but to get a start, Google the terms:

+ds1307 +PIC

This should give you plenty to read. Again, there are lots of other RTC's available, but this is one of the most common ones and is very easy to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back