Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

H-bridge using only n-channel mosfets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stube40

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have created an H-bridge PC with 4x floating gate drivers and 4x IGBTs (see attached schematic showing half of h-bridge).

It works very nicely but I would like to replace the IGBTs with n-channel MOSFETs. However, all the H-bridge designs I've seen use n-channels on the low side and p-channels on the high side.

Since my design uses independant galvanically isolated DC-DC converters which effectively provide each of the 4x gate drivers with their own floating supply, is it possible that I can just do a simple straight swap between of the IGBTs with N-channel mosfets?

Of course you can. In contrast to your observation, most MOSFET H-bridges (at least for high power) are using N-MOS transistors and working this way.

FvM said:
Of course you can. In contrast to your observation, most MOSFET H-bridges (at least for high power) are using N-MOS transistors and working this way.

That's great. Thanks for your help.

Many commercial H-bridge drivers exist and the commercial
market favors all-NMOS power trains for cost so the drivers
accommodate that.

An integrated bridge driver may provide you some niceties
like anti-shoot-through timing that a discrete or SSI solution
would leave as your problem to solve.

All-NMOS schemes will have some minimum switching limits
if they employ a bootstrap cap. This is one thing that a
PMOS high side doesn't require (above-rail gate voltage).

Status
Not open for further replies.