Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schottky vs Step Recovery Diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobiNaz

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,

I am in the middle of making a frequency doubler. I am using schottky and SRD. I am at frequencies 5.25 GHz to 10.5 GHz. I really need good reference as to why select SRD over Schottky. The performance of my SRD based doubler is better than Schottky over input power -10 to -70 dBm.

Thanks in advance.
Really could not sleep for many nights.

Depends on your application.

Shottky diodes can be made to double or triple over a wide frequency range, but their conversion loss will always be high--at least 8 db, and typically more like 10-12 db.

Step recovery (varactor diodes) can be used with much greater conversion efficiency, possibly only 2 dB conversion loss for a doubler. But they are narrow band circuits that need to be carefully tuned. One advantage is that they can do high multiplication values, like a X10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back