Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

WG/coax transition: probe radiation resistance vs diameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

htg

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does the diameter of a probe significantly affect its radiation resistance?

Yes.

Since the probe's radiation resistance is closely related to in characteristic impedance. And the vary with the same trend when its dimension varying. So the answer is yes.

But can I ask why you are concerned about the probe's radiation resistance. For my experience, that is the value that we usually neglect.

htg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: WG/coax transition: probe radiation resistance vs diamet

I understand I need proper value of radiation resistance to match the impedance of the probe to the impedance of the waveguide.

I agree there's a similarity to the radiation resistance of an antenna. But it's not a common term in
waveguide technique. Actually length and diameter of the probe stud both influences the impedance
matching. You'll also find alternative transition geometries in literature, that are said to be better suited
for high power, e.g. the lower waveguide transition in the below illustration.

htg

Impedance matching should work independently of how much power is transmitted.
Can you explain?

htg said:
Impedance matching should work independently of how much power is transmitted.
Right. Better suited means higher power capability, regarding thermal rating and by avoiding electrical arcing.

My literature source (Meinke/Gundlach Taschenbuch der Hochfrequenztechnik) doesn't tell explicitely, however.

htg

Status
Not open for further replies.