Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mechanical part of an electronic door lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovide

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a final year project: Electronic door lock via SMS.

The project demands that I have to build the lock somehow with gears, rack, pinion and bolt.
I have a conceptual design which I want to use but I just want to put it up for everyone to see because I am not sure if what I did is realistic and/or reasonable.
All my calculations were based on assumptions. Please I need your help.

Do not totally understand your sketch, but it seems in the right area. What I would do is to have a "peg" on the end of the bolt inside the lock. Use this peg to operate microswitches when bolt is in or out. Then with a couple of diodes and a an ordinary DC motor and gear box you just put power out, the motor runs until the bolt is home when the microswitch cuts of the DC power (the diode allows for the current to flow in the other direction). Reverse the DC polarity and the motor runs in the other direction until the other microswitch opens. This method overcomes counting the number of steps the stepper motor has to make to move the bolt, and what happens if its actual position and step number get out of sequence.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back