Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matching confusion: usin RFSim99 vs Smith Chart software vs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger Freeman

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

Please can someone plough through this explanation and show me where I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick i.e. got myself muddled up?

I have a low power RF transceiver IC whose datasheet says the output will match into a 50 ohm environment by use of a 10nH series L. I have confirmed that without/with this inductor I derive powers of -10dBm/-4dBm into a 50 measurement system (in my case a Marconi 6950 power meter). So far so good.

I then need to drive the signal into a single PHEMT power amplifier with a gain of approx 10dB - using the S2P dataset for the device shows I need a matching net looking into it because, at the frequency of interest, the VSWR is hopeless (35 or similar - very capacitive junction).

If I use Fritz Delssperger's excellent Smith Chart program, I see a series and shunt L of approx 40nH each, from the transceiver inductor to the gate of the phemt. Doing so gives me a match of much better than VSWR=2 - in fact at the spot frequency the match is a return loss of 30dB or better and for a few MHz either side, all points transform into the VSWR=2 circle on the Smith chart.

However If I use RFSim99 I see that, for the same input matching components, the match is comepletely wrong.

Confusion 1 - if my phemt is represented by an S2P file, what should I be doing with the output side of the S2p file? If I am looking at S11 for the phemt then I should presumably terminate S22 in a 50R load - and then when I want to next solve for S22 can I leave the previously-determined network on the input port ?

Confusion 2 - if the transceiver needs 10nH on its output to appear as 50R, then I model sourcing from a 50R source into an L network with a series and a shunt L, can't I absorb the transceiver's 10nH with the series element of 40nH in the matching network?

Confusion 3 - if the phemt output is transformed to look like 50R looking back into it, then does that Z get transformed through the phemt such that the load now seen looking into the phemt from the other side has changed?

I don't know which to model first - S11 or S22 and do I do it with or without 50R loads terminating the "unwanted" port?

Thanks for any clarifications anyone can offer - going round in circles here (if you'll excuse the pun)

RF

**broken link removed**
https://electroschematics.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/rf-sim-99.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.