Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to select mixer for a Superheterodyn receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven_l

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am dedsigning a mixer for a Superheterodyn receiver .

The input signal is wideband from tens of MHz to tens of hundreds of MHZ(almost 1 GHz).

IF is about 300MHz。

The mixer needs high IIP3, and low NF.

The mixer need 50 Ohm input and output match. This is the biggest problem.

How can i select mixer? Is Gilbert OK?

If the transconductor of the gilbert is common source, it has good NF and IIP3(use soucre degeneration) . But match to 50 OHm is difficult during such wide band

If i use common gate transconducto, NF is poor.

If i use resistive mixer, IIP3 is good. However, NF is poor and CG is negative.

Anybody can introduce a good structure?

Thank you very much~~~

For your wideband mixer I would recommend to use one of Mini-Circuits models.
For example, their ZAD-2 mixer covers LO/RF from 1 to 1000 MHz, and IF up to 500 MHz. See "www.minicircuits.com", there are many suitable mixers that can suit your application.
To improve receiver noise figure, it is advisable to use one or more low-noise preamplifier(s), again. the same company offers model ZFL-1000LN, with 20 dB gain and ~3 dB NF.
I have used many Mini-Circuits components in addition to my designs, with excellent results. I think their costs are good, too.

You mentioned that you are looking to design a mixer, so buying from a vendor doesn't make sense.

Gilbert mixer is fine for your application. To improve matching you can use balun transformers:
**broken link removed**

steven_l

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
vfone said:
You mentioned that you are looking to design a mixer, so buying from a vendor doesn't make sense.

Gilbert mixer is fine for your application. To improve matching you can use balun transformers:
**broken link removed**

Thankd for your reply. I will think about your advice carefully.

Added after 2 minutes:

jiripolivka said:
For your wideband mixer I would recommend to use one of Mini-Circuits models.
For example, their ZAD-2 mixer covers LO/RF from 1 to 1000 MHz, and IF up to 500 MHz. See "www.minicircuits.com", there are many suitable mixers that can suit your application.
To improve receiver noise figure, it is advisable to use one or more low-noise preamplifier(s), again. the same company offers model ZFL-1000LN, with 20 dB gain and ~3 dB NF.
I have used many Mini-Circuits components in addition to my designs, with excellent results. I think their costs are good, too.

Thinks for your reply. But i want to design a mixer chip by using MOS technique.

Do you have other good advice?

pavel_adameyko said:
Hi, steven_l
What exactly gain, iip3 and NF you want to obtain?

Actually, there is no exact performance. IIP3 should be larger than 10dBm, NF should be less than 10dB. CG should be larger than 10dB.

IIP3 is the most important performance, and i need wideband input. Also i need match input and output to 50 Ohm.

Added after 6 minutes:

vfone said:

**broken link removed**

hi, i have another question.

In the pdf Page 5, the input match can be satisfied by source degeneration and ransformers.

But how about output? In pdf, the load is 500Ohm. If i use ransformers or match net to 50 Ohm, does mean the load become 500Ohm || 500 Ohm=250 Ohm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back