Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Purpose of this diode in the diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

malli_1729

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I am new to this forum.

I have a design in which i have difficulty in understanding one part of it. I am attaching the partial circuit of it.

I am just giving small description about the circuit i attached.

This circuit basically a Flyback converter. In the attached diagram the Left hand side is Rectified and filtered AC signal from mains and has secondary winding of the transformer on right side which shown as a block. From it feedback is given to NCP1027(Swither) through Opto coupler.
The HV pin of NCP1027 is just a Drain connection of internal MOSFET and Source of it is connected to GND. As far as i know the Purpose of the circuit(R18,TVS2,D10 and D12) is to Clamp the voltage when over voltage above some 650V comes. TVS2 has clamping voltage as 648V and reverse srandoff voltage as 400V.Here i don't know what's the purpose these 2 diodes D10 and D12. I believe we can directly connect TVS2 to GND instead of connecting to GND through these diodes.
if anybody can share thier ideas regarding these diodes D10 and D12 why they have placed these instead of GNDing the TVS2 Directly .
It will be very helpful to me.

Thank you.

Hi!

Perhaps it avoids the noise that may apear on the GND line.

Regards,
Bruno

I agree that the need for diodes D10 and D12 is not obvious. They would clamp the voltage about 1V above and below ground. TVS2 will turn on if the gate or source of Q1 begins to rise above 400V. Seems that Q1 is cascoding the mosfet drain inside the IC. This must be a very high voltage flyback converter.

Thank you for your response.

Yes you are right. it is high voltage (1000V) Flyback converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.