Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power IC design help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIC

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently have a request to design high-voltage analog ICs (Supply voltage at +5 and -70 Volt). I don't have much experience in this. Particularly, can I use voltage below the substrate voltage (substrate at ground potential)? What are the design rules regarding transistor sizing, width of metal layer tracks, etc? Anyone has experience in this? Anyone can recommend any books on the matter? Anything you can provide is much appreciated.

ASIC

Noone here can point me in the right direction?

ASIC

Hi Asic,

This is not my field also, but I think that you can not use voltages below the substrate since that will forward bias the source junction diodes. You will need to reference the substrate to the lower voltage in you circuit, and then work from here.

Voltages higher than supplay is possible if you do not exceed the oxid breakdown as in clock boosters.

About this topic I know a book "Smart Power ICs", check in the Amazon site.

About trace route. Well you will need a high voltage technology so the traces will be wide. Also due to the higher currents in power circuits you will need to check the trace resistance and check the electromigration rules in the traces vias and contacts, or you circuit will fail in a short time.

I hope this can help you ...

Regards bastos

bastos,

Thank you for the comments. It was good to get an idea about what I am in for. Also good to know that I am not alone here :smile: I may consult you in PM later should I get stuck.

Thanks a lot

ASIC

in which process-technology do you have to make this design? BICMOS? Double-Well? I have experience in a +/- 12V (24V) Amplifier-Desing for ADSL in 0.6um-BICMOS.
Its not 70V, but maybe I can help a little bit with my experience. What is the design-task? Amplifier, charge-pumps,...?

peterlaaser

Status
Not open for further replies.