Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plated hole drill size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

davorin

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is todays practice when sending drill files to a PCB manuafcturer?

Do they do their own adjustments of plated holes drill sizes or do I have to adjust them in the design already (making 0.1mm wider).

We always give the diameters we want in the drillfile and the PCB manufacturer delivers the boards according to our spec :)

I think they add about 0.1 mm to the specified tools ...

best regards

Which means then if I have plated/unplated holes of same size they are counted then as 2 tools...and therefore costs more...

Was asking since I only saw one company saying that they´re doing the adjustments by them self...

The interesting thing is that many manufactures do not charge you for the holes but just for the number of required tools...

Believe it or not but many of them charge you just for the board size and the amount of milling (outline, special contours etc) and single/double/multilayer.

Many manufacturers have high one time costs for setup and etest that is why we mount boards together if possible so that the manufacturer has to treat this as a single board.

Makes sense for us if you have a device which consist of for example 4 boards as this saves 3 times the setup costs which are around 3 * 350 US$.

best regards

You have to regard finished hole on your documentation.
Will be the PCB manufacturer who will set the drill tools.
The PCB manufacturer drill tools step is 0.05mm, so if you ask them 1mm hole size they will probably use a 1.1 or 1.05mm tool (they have to regard the electrolytic store and the wear).
About Plated/unPlated drill, I think that you need 2 tools,because the PCB
manufacturer execute the drilling on 2 step: first drills the plated hole than at the end of process (etching and electrolytic) drills the unPlated hole.

MKBS :)

IME they always want the finished size of the plated hole. They know their process and how much to allow for plating, which will vary with diameter.

Git

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back