Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problems in a comparator with the sampled signal as inputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxing

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
problems with comparator

Hello everyone,

I am designing a comparator for the Pipelined ADC application and I have a problem with my comparator: When I use the continuously signal (since wave) as inputs for comparators, it works perfectly. however, when I use the sampled signal as inputs, it can not give the correct results? Also, I found that the outputs of the compartor are affected by the value of sampling capacitor. Does anybody have any suggestion.

Thanks!

P.S. The comaprator that I am using is a dynamic comparator with a build-in threshold. It appears in Allan's book of Figure 8.5-6.

Re: problems in Comparator

I don't have Allan's book, so I don't know exactly what is your comparator (maybe you can post it...).

Anyway it does not make sense that you don't have the correct operation with a sampled signal. Probably there is something wrong with your testbench. Is the input common-mode voltage in place?

What happens: you comparator does not regenerate at all or you simply get wrong results? If you get wrong results, this is with which differential input voltage (i.e. if you put a large differential input voltage you still get wrong results ?).

It seams that you have a switched capacitor input network. Are you waiting the time necessary for charge distribution before making the comparator regenerate ?

If you give more details it will be easier to help you.

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I found the answer. It's because one of the regenerating transistors is in the deep saturation region. Also there are other problems from my sampling circuits.

Regards,

Have you looked at the offset of the comparator ? .Probably increase the channel length of the 4 i/p transistor's to see some changes .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back