Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Implementing memory block for Altera FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

shethpurak

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am implementing a memory block which will go in the Altera FPGA and memory is about 4k big.

I am implementing this method to implement it in verilog

mem[wr_ptr] <= data_in for writing data

data_out = mem[rd_ptr] for reading data

Somebody suggested me to use block ram instead of using this logic

Can anybody tell me what is the difference between block ram and the way I implemented the memory block ?

Thanks

the quartus manual has specific coding guidelines for this. section 6-13

The tools really should be able to determine if something can fit in a few MLAB's, or if it needs to be fit in a dedicated RAM. You can also set synthesis attributes to specify a different implementation.

I think altera also has "megafunctions" for making large RAMs that use several dedicated block rams, but 4kB (?) doesn't source too large.

edit -- also, this is one reason why everyone should read the reccomended coding styles guide, as well as any coding style guidelines, from their FPGA manufacturer. The main goal of writing RTL is to get something that will map well to the actual device. The FPGA has some special, dedicated resources. If you read the coding guides, you'll infer more of these dedicated resources, and waste less of the generic fabric. Likewise, you might realize that some RTL optimization attempts are wastes of time, or counterproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back