Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Width of the lumpport in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CQCQ

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am very new to using Ansoft HFSS,As the fig 1,If the microstrip width is 10mm,the device's pin width is only 0.25mm.So,What the width of the lumpport I need setting?the same as the microstrip(10mm) or as the pin(0.25mm)? Thank you !
fig 1

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Thank you mauroferrari_
up.......

Added after 16 minutes:

fig2

fig3
The lumpport width same as microstrip width

fig4
The lumpport width same as device pin width

So which is right in my design?
Thank you!
-CQCQ

I would recommend you use the pin width. That way your model will contain the correct current profile as it approaches the device pin. Otherwise, you will lose the proper modeling of the extra inductance as the current flows from the edges of the microstrip, around the facing edges of the microstrip line (at the substrate gap) and mates with the pin.

Be careful, however, to recognize that this port type is still not de-embedded. There are still parasitics that will be included in your model that HFSS won't remove because of the lumped port itself. HFSS doesn't de-embed these internal ports (unless you use an internal waveport, which wouldn't work very well for this situation). There may also be some amount of cross-coupling between the internal ports in your model, as they complete the circuit to ground.

To my knowledge, only a couple of planar EM solvers can de-embed these internal ports (Sonnet, AWR Axiem). I think Sonnet can model the gap with a dielectric brick construct, which Axiem doesn't have.

--Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back