Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrolytic capacitor different sizes with the same rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

andro

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello
i am confused about something some times i see electrolytic capacitors with the same rating but in different sizes
example
1000 uf/ 250 VDC
one small and the bulky as a can
some does it mean one of them has more power ? if it is like that how can calculate power rating
**broken link removed**
do you see in the site that big one ? it can be used as battery ?
really im confused about that, sometimes i see websites tell it can be using capacitor as battery, but it could be that ?
thanks

Physically larger capacitors with the same voltage rating and capacitance as a smaller one will most likely be able to withstand a higher ripple current. This is particularly important in a power supply.

Keith

Re: electrolytic capacitor different sizes with the same rat

i am sking about something called "electrolytic capacitor bank" can consider it someknid of battery? and if so that, how can use it and how nuch power can supply ? if we use 4 electrolytic capacitor bank of 5600 uf/450 vdc as example

You can put them in parallel to create larger values. It is not really a battery because the voltage will drop as you use the energy whereas a battery tends to hold a relatively constant voltage as you use them.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back