Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Will ATX SMPS work in US at 110V

Status
Not open for further replies.

sghosh

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have around 15 computer SMPS - those grey metal box ones - looks the same since they started coming into market for Pentium III boxes in 2000.

I think they cost around Rs 400 ( ~US$9 ) on the average when purchased new and are very useful in powering robots ( esp. heavy duty motors )

My question is - they run fine, here, on 230V, but would they run, without modification on 110-117V ( if I take part in US/International competition ? )

They are not active PFC type - they are those simple cheap stuff, also often found refurbished at second hand electronics shops.

No idea. older supplies in the US often had 110/230 switches.

I would hope that any organization capable of paying for international travel could spring for a universal PSU. Or at least have a 2:1 transformer somewhere.

I would also hope that any technical organization would also have at least one person who could provide an emergency PSU.

sghosh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Few of my PSU's also have 110/230V Switch but when I open the case I see it is not connected - dummy switch!

I will be taking part in international competitions, so there will be lots of people and teams - emergency PSU/Transformer is out of question as origanizing body will not favor only one team out of 100s.

Now a days as these swicthes are not used frequently, these are not connected to the PCB. But still there will be chances of having Silk screen layouts printed on the PCB as to how to connect and what components.
Cheers

when I open the case I see it is not connected
Sounds dubious. Actually, there should be a clear manufacturer specification about input voltage range. But how can you know, that any said specification is correct? If the PSUs are low quality grade products, I won't believe it. I've seen China originated PSUs even on the european market, that would fail basic safety tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.