Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

vhdl synthesizable codes for fast adders and fast multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOOMOO_KAMP81

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone help me in finding synthesizable codes for fast adders and fast multiplier? ,i need them for using in a convolution function.

Re: vhdl synthesizable codes for fast adders and fast multip

I dont know about adders.I think the xilinx will implement the fastest adders during synthesis.
You can choose the optimization method by changing the synthesis option in XST.
Change the "optimization goal" to "speed" in XST synthesis options.

And for the multiplier you can increase the speed by using cris-cross way of multiplication, found in Vedic Mathematics. It will increase the operating freq by a good amount.

Hope this helps.
--vipin
https://vhdlguru.blogspot.com/

Synthesisors are good at implementing multipliers and adders from the following code. I assume you're talking about synchronous adders/multiplers rather than asynchronous.

signal a,b,c,d : integer range LOW_LIMIT to HIGH_LIMIT;

--inside a clocked process;
c <= a + b;
d <= c * a;

my code should not be behavioral specifically for + ,so i should find some code for implementing fast adder

I think, the question title is misleading. This is no VHDL problem. You have to refer to the low level hardware primitives of the respective FPGA family. The vendor usually has examples how to utilize them in a VHDL design, like the Altera "Synthesis Cookbook".

But in most the cases, the synthesis tool can be expected to generate almost optimal gate level logic from behavioural code, as already mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.