Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to edit parts in altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

hithesh123

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I edit an already existing part/footprint in Altium.
I tried to add a 3D model to an existing footprint, but was not able to.

That didn't help.
Components, for which I created the schematic, I can add the footprint from the library and 3D model, downloaded from the net.

What about an existing component. The TO 92, has a footprint and no 3D body.
I downloaded the 3D object. Now I would like to add it to TO 92.
I am able to add the 3D object on the PCB(with some effort).

I would like to get the TO92 footprint to the PCB library editor and add the 3D body.
How do I do this?

follow the same step as you are doing in PCB but this time in library editor.
make a mechanical layer active then import the 3D STEP model to it.

Anonymous_Ricky said:
follow the same step as you are doing in PCB but this time in library editor.
make a mechanical layer active then import the 3D STEP model to it.

I can't get the part into the library editor. That is my big problem.
Do you just drag it into the library editor? Didn't work for me.

You have to first make any mechanical layer (layer you are using for 3D objects) active then goto place>> step model exact steps I dont remember but I used to do it like this only. I think it places only STEP files so you have to use that only.

The easiest way for me to edit parts in a library is to create PCB library from pcb file. This is usually the case if I was not the original designer on project and have taken over from someone else's work.

1. Make PCB Library.
With pcb doc open goto design/make pcb library. select "make pcb library"
2. after library is created.
Right click on project (*.prjpcb) Click on add existing to project. Next navigate to pcb.lib file you just created. Add library to project.
3. This new library will now be part of your existing project. You will see it under: PCB Library Documents in navigator.
double click on this library to open.
4. At bottom of navigator you will see several tabs click on "PCB Library" Now you will see all components in design. click on component you want to edit.
5. Select Place\3D body. A popup will ask you what kind of body you want to create.
6. Create body as desired.
7. Save pcb library
8. right click on component in navigator.
Select "Update PCB With * (*= part you just modified)
9. done

You can verify that part is updated correctly by typing 3 on keyboard. This will bring you into 3d mode. This is true in library mode and pcb mode.

Eda

Hi edaedaeda,

I did everything up to step 4. But in PCB library, I only see the footprints that I created. Other components in my prjpcb do not show up.
Screen shot attached.

Is design completely packaged and all parts are placed or at least distributed in pcb document?

How many different footprints are supposed to be in pcb?

Eda

Yes, the parts are already placed on the PCB.
I am not sure how many parts. Maybe 15.
I have attached a screen shot.

I am able to do that but dont know why you are facing problem may be you can try creating library from scratch means try creating fresh library as you do not have to many components to create.

hithesh123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back