Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tube with low filament current??

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I need a miniature dual triode type tube like the size of ECC83, but one which uses low filament current. 300mA is too high. the lowest the better.

Do you know of any types?

I guess, you are actually looking for low filament power. Then Uxx series tubes don't offer a benefit over Exx series. The required filament power is mainly defined by the cathode surface area, so only miniature tubes dedicated to battery operation offer considerable power reduction.

I fear, unlike for standard types, that are still manufactured in small quantities, the supply of these types will be rather poor.

FvM you are right. The same size of cathode requires the same filament power. Low filament power tubes are battery powered tubes with Uf of about 1.4V. This is type D or american tubes with 1 in front of letter and nuvistors.
On audio DIY forum the same question was asked?

Your best bet would be "light house" tubes as used in TV tuners at one time. These were really miniature. almost the size of the TO5 can.
If I am not wrong these wre triodes for grounded grid operation.

Azzy

I think you mean a 'nuvistor', a metal can type valve, these do have low power heaters, usually about 2volts @ 0.4A, which sounds a lot, but thats only 1 watt, low for a valve heater, you'd have to use a switching reg if you want maximum efficiency from a higher voltage supply.
A 13DE7 might be the sort of thing your after, its a double triode, I dont think they are manufactured anymore but probably still available, as mentioned they were popular in TV front ends, 2 way radios and 'scopes.
This is what they look like, not made from glass, but steel.
Grounded grid operation was technique used to lower the impedance to match a 1/4 wave aerial impedance, a similar manner to a grounded base tranny, I'dve thought you'd also be able to run one in the standard grounded cathode manner just as well.
nuvistor.jpg

Last edited:

Some audio equipment just lowers the fil voltage (Cool-Tube Preamp for guitars) loss of gain but lower current.

Status
Not open for further replies.