Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Photodiode Impedance match??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDog

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to design a photodetector circuit for picking up a laser source being modulated at 1.6GHz.

My thoughts were to couple the photodiode to a cascaded pair of MMIC amplifiers.
Do I need to impedance match the output of the diode to the 50ohm impedance of the MMIC amplifier input (input vswr of??

The photodiode has a shunt resitance of 300Mohm, Series resistance of 10ohms junction capacitance of 0.4pF. I am not sure how to convert these numbers so that I can make an impedance matching network.

Anyone have any hints on where to start?
Cheers

Hello,

Get an equivalent value of impedance of the diode and develop a matching network using any Smith Chart tool (many free tools like Quick Smith are available). MAtching is necessary for coupling maximum power from the photodiode to the amplifier as per my understanding.

Hope it helps. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.