Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Concern of connecting thin-oxide device to ground/power

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflash

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In sub-130nm process, tsmc requested to use tie-high tie-low for soft connection to power/gnd bus.

Not sure what kind of issue is getting worried? CDM, HBM, or CMP during manufacturing?

Neither of those, because models aren't dangerous from themselves, and CMP occurs under an electrolytically conducting liquid. It's simply a better gate protection during a "normal" ESD event, than connecting directly to GND or VDD.

I am suspicious of the simple "tie_x" cells because they just
substitute one gate-big rail connection for another. Seems to
me like "feel-good" without backup.

On the plus side verilog will have a model for it, unlike a resistor
of equivalent drive strength.

On the other hand I have cheated the antenna rules more than
once, by using a resistor to tie gates to vdd/vss.

i think never let the gate of a not used transistor floating is a good habit.
and the floating gate is potentially threatened by antenna effects and CDM events. gate means capacitances, charges love capacitors, electro-static charges will be stored there.

This is a good question. Made me think.

If we put a tie-low, now the nmos of tie low is connected directly to ground so if it was an ESD zap protection thing, won't the inverter nmos get blown up.

I dug around somewhat. It seems that we use tie-low because you don't want to connect directly to Vcc. so you create a softvcc.

However, we don't use a tie-high. Its okay to connect a gate directly to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back