Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to add dimensions to the components in ADS Layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sambow87

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone --

I have designed a filter using discrete components in ADS and I am now trying to design the microstrip lines to interconnect all of the parts. I've used Linecalc to determine the width needed for a 50 ohm microstrip line (given my particular substrate). Now I am sort of lost. I don't want to just throw microstrip lines in the circuit, I want to use a little sense, heh. Are there any guidelines to follow? I am really new to the subject so I kind of tried to position them in a way that should work. I don't want to get any coupling effects (from lines being too close together)...etc..

Also when I generate the layout from the schematic using ADS it looks like a big jumbled mess. This is partly because some of my components don't have a physical size added to them. Is there a way to add these dimensions to the components (say using the Coilcraft ADS library for their inductors), or do I have to space the lines perfectly in the layout section. If I did that, could I run simulations with momentum?

If any of you have any tutorials I would really appreciate it. I've searched all over and I can't find anything that relates to microstrip interconnect design with discrete components.

Thanks,

Sam

Re: ADS Layout Help

Probably you biggest issue will be the Frequency you are working at.
If it's too high your performance will greatly differ from your simulation.

If you're around 1GHz you can just put all components as close as possible
and that would have little effect.

ADS does have some components with "ART WORK" that will go in to
Momentum, but it's not always easy or correct. If you can call the ADS
Tech support they will be the best help.

Cheers

Re: ADS Layout Help

Thank you very much!

Yeah, it's a tunable filter (using PIN diodes) from 20 MHz to 1 GHz. I figured the effects of the traces shouldn't be too bad at those frequencies.

Thanks again. If I find a good way of adding dimensions to parts from their tech support I'll be sure to post it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back