+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Member level 5
    Points: 3,118, Level: 13

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    92
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    3,118
    Level
    13

    Modeling a VCO in ADS?

    Hi, can anybody suggest a way to model a Voltage Controlled Oscillator in ADS?

    For example, this one:

    http://www.tlcprecision.com/Data%20Sheets/TLCO06981.pdf

    I don't need to model the internal workings of the VCO just the external block and have it be controlled by a sawtooth or triangular wave, etc.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks!

    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  2. #2
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 17,492, Level: 32
    pancho_hideboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Real Homeless
    Posts
    2,689
    Helped
    729 / 729
    Points
    17,492
    Level
    32

    Re: Modeling a VCO in ADS?

    If you run HB-Analysis, use followings.
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...e+Frequency%29
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...s+Component%29

    If you run Transient or Circuit-Envelope Analysis, use following.
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...+Oscillator%29



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  3. #3
    Member level 5
    Points: 3,118, Level: 13

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    92
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    3,118
    Level
    13

    Re: Modeling a VCO in ADS?

    Quote Originally Posted by pancho_hideboo
    If you run HB-Analysis, use followings.
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...e+Frequency%29
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...s+Component%29

    If you run Transient or Circuit-Envelope Analysis, use following.
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...+Oscillator%29
    Thanks, this is useful...

    Any thoughts how this can be turned into a S-parameter simulation for the purposes of link budget analysis? I.e. VCO connected to amplifier, coupler (microstrip design from Momentum), then antenna...Know the input match into the VCO, S-parameters for the coupler and the antenna match...so overall should be able to determine the total loss across the components, etc. Correct?

    Thanks!



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 17,492, Level: 32
    pancho_hideboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Real Homeless
    Posts
    2,689
    Helped
    729 / 729
    Points
    17,492
    Level
    32

    Re: Modeling a VCO in ADS?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan
    Any thoughts how this can be turned into a S-parameter simulation for the purposes of link budget analysis?
    I can't understand what you want to do ?

    (1) Do you understand what is VCO ?
    (2) Do you underestand S-parameter Analysis correctly ?
    (3) Do you understand Link Budget Analysis correctly ?
    (4) What characteristics of VCO do you want to consider in S-parameter Analysis ?
    (5) What characteristics of VCO do you want to consider in Budget Analysis ?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan
    I.e. VCO connected to amplifier, coupler (microstrip design from Momentum), then antenna...
    Know the input match into the VCO, S-parameters for the coupler and the antenna match...
    so overall should be able to determine the total loss across the components, etc. Correct?
    I can't understand what you want to do at all.
    What do you want to mean by "Know the input match into the VCO" ?

    Describe correctly and in detail.

    But I don't think your appilcation requires Voltage Controlled Characteristics of Oscillator.

    I think considering of output impedance of VCO in simulation is enough for your application.
    Other characteristics of VCO are not required at all for your application.

    Again what characteristics of VCO do you want to consider ?



  5. #5
    Member level 5
    Points: 3,118, Level: 13

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    92
    Helped
    0 / 0
    Points
    3,118
    Level
    13

    Modeling a VCO in ADS?

    I am trying to build a high-frequency sensor which has a VCO and a subsequent passive/active path consisting of an amplifier, coupler, antenna, etc.

    So I need to know the phase noise of the overall system and separately all the component losses in the system (taken together) to make sure the link budget is satisfied...

    Thoughts?



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  6. #6
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 17,492, Level: 32
    pancho_hideboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Real Homeless
    Posts
    2,689
    Helped
    729 / 729
    Points
    17,492
    Level
    32

    Re: Modeling a VCO in ADS?

    Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan
    So I need to know the phase noise of the overall system and separately all the component losses in the system (taken together) to make sure the link budget is satisfied...
    As I expected, your appilcation does not require Voltage Controlled Characteristics of Oscillator at all.

    Is your interest only small signal behavior ?

    You should use AC analysis or HB analysis for your application.

    For former case, use followings.
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...ower+Source%29
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...tage+Source%29
    http://edocs.soco.agilent.com/displa...s+Component%29

    For latter case, see my first append for HB-Analysis again.
    "PhaseNoise" of "P_1Tone" might be valid even for AC analysis.



--[[ ]]--