Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSP: cascaded integrated comb filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

casey480

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to work out the output states for each stage of a CIC, and I'm a bit confused.

If an integrator looks like this:

**broken link removed**

And it's output is described as

Code:
 S1[n] = S1[n-1] + X1[n]

If you cascaded two of them, the output of the second stage:

Code:
 S2[n] = S2[n-1] + X2[n]

substituting

Code:
 S2[n] = S2[n-1] + S1[n-1] + X1[n]

Therefore, the addition is combinatorial, and the X1 input should ripple between stages.

The implementation I am analyzing does not do that, and has a register for each accumulator stage, therefore the input does not propagate. Is this correct? What am I missing?

Usually, you'll want to utilize the delay register to achieve pipeline action and connect the next stage at it's output rather than at the adder directly.

A separate pipeline register may be used, if the CIC integrator clock is as divided system clock.

casey480 said:
I'm trying to work out the output states for each stage of a CIC, and I'm a bit confused.

If an integrator looks like this:

**broken link removed**

And it's output is described as

Code:
 S1[n] = S1[n-1] + X1[n]

If you cascaded two of them, the output of the second stage:

Code:
 S2[n] = S2[n-1] + X2[n]

substituting

Code:
 S2[n] = S2[n-1] + S1[n-1] + X1[n]

Therefore, the addition is combinatorial, and the X1 input should ripple between stages.

The implementation I am analyzing does not do that, and has a register for each accumulator stage, therefore the input does not propagate. Is this correct? What am I missing?

the final equation is wrong!
Code:
S1[n] = S1[n-1] + X1[n]
S1[n-1] = S1[n-2] + X1[n-1]
S1[n] = S1[n-1] + X1[n] = S1[n-2] + X1[n-1] + X[n]

the final equation is wrong
Yes, you can't simply "substitute" a recursive expression. I also don't understand your calculation however.

FvM said:
the final equation is wrong
Yes, you can't simply "substitute" a recursive expression. I also don't understand your calculation however.

en, I correct my expression, the equation is not wrong, but makes more confuse of this. so, I suggest to use transfer function to solve it.

Code:
S1[n] = S1[n-1] + X1[n] = S1[n] * (z ^ -1) + X1[n];

S1[n](1 - (z ^ -1)) = X1[n]

H(z) = S1[n]/X1[n] = 1/(1 - (z ^ -1));

two cascade

Code:
F(z) = H(z) * H(z) = 1/(1 - 2 * (z ^ -1) + (z ^ -2)) = S2[n]/X1[n]

finally we can get

Code:
X1[n] = S2[n] * (1 - 2 * (z ^ -1) + (z ^ -2)) = S2[n] - 2 * S2[n-1] + S2[n-2];

then

Code: