Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is the S21 plot result given in the voltage ratio or the power ratio in ADS Momentum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raebrm

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Just a simple question. Is the S21 plot result we get from momentum in dB the voltage ratio or the power ratio? Is there a method to convert one to another in ADS?

Thanks!

S21 in ADS Momentum

S-Parameters are voltage ratios

raebrm

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: S21 in ADS Momentum

S parameters are actually power-wave ratios [W]^1/2. You cannot assume that all you reference port impedances are the same. I know, I know, we all are working with Z0i=50 but I'm a little academy biased :)

raebrm

To see the power of a certain node in your circuit you must give a name at the node, run the simulation and than from datadisplay you can write the expression dbm(nodename) than you can also plot this
see also
www.uwaverf.altervista.org/forum

raebrm

thanks for the replies. I did some tests on ADS and i think that S21 gives the voltage ratio when we display the S21 in terms of its magnitude (V0/V1). But if we display the S21 in terms of dB, it's converted into 20*log(V0/V1), so the plot in dB is the same for power or voltage, since the power in dB is 10*log(P0/P1) and P0=V^2.

hope i didnt have a huge misconception here.
thanks!

raebrm said:
I did some tests on ADS and i think that S21 gives the voltage ratio when we display the S21 in terms of its magnitude (V0/V1). But if we display the S21 in terms of dB, it's converted into 20*log(V0/V1), so the plot in dB is the same for power or voltage, since the power in dB is 10*log(P0/P1) and P0=V^2.

Yes, this is correct.

Chinaski mentioned the special case where you have mixed reference impedances, and then it gets a little bit more complex. But for the normal case with identical reference impedance on all ports, your description is correct.

raebrm

wonderful! thanks so very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back