Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

wideband L-probe feed, did you hear about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lupin said:
Ok caocao,
I think I can begin to work with the probe-fed fix.I never tried the probe at that band..
Another thing, do u have articles about stacked fix antennas? I'ld need to enlarge my library...

Thanks in advance
Lupin

hi lupin,
please specify clearly your papers, there is a lot, and i can post'em here, but its better to be clear. wideband stack? dual band stack?, and why stack? i think one patch can give sufficient gain and bandwidth. if an especial paper is in your mind, please tell me to post it here, otherwise, i choose some and post.

murti

Hi mamali,

I need wideband stacked p@tch configurations.. the monolayer p@tch antenna bandwidth is not enough for me.. The Gain must be more than 8 dB and I know I can get it with a stacked microstrip antenna..
Maybe (I'm not sure at the moment) I can decide to add one more p@tch to the stacked configuration to get another working bandwidth (it's very challenging isn't it?)...I 've to build the antenna.It's not a simple study.

As u can see I need help. I've to identify the right stacked configuration, so your contribution will be very appreciated.

Best regards
Lupin

plasma said:
Hi mamali

for improving the cross pol just print sheet of parallel wires and put it
above your antenna

I think that you can get a high cross pol -35db. low sidelobe -30db
very broadband and very good VSWR.and same beamwidth in E and H plane if you use scalar horn antenna.

RGZ

Yes, very broadband and very good vswr, but radiating char?

I don't chare for good vswr bandwith if I have bad radiating field in function of frequency.

Lupin said:
Hi mamali,

I need wideband stacked p@tch configurations.. the monolayer p@tch antenna bandwidth is not enough for me.. The Gain must be more than 8 dB and I know I can get it with a stacked microstrip antenna..
Maybe (I'm not sure at the moment) I can decide to add one more p@tch to the stacked configuration to get another working bandwidth (it's very challenging isn't it?)...I 've to build the antenna.It's not a simple study.

As u can see I need help. I've to identify the right stacked configuration, so your contribution will be very appreciated.

Best regards
Lupin

Dear lupin,
more than 20% bandwidth in 2GHz, and so more (around 40%) in higher frequencies could be achieved by one [atch. if you still need more, u should use tacked structures. moreover, u can get more gain and bandwidth with array. thus, please specify:
operation frequency, bandwidth, back lobe and side lobe level, 3dB angle, and especially the amount of space you could use.

murti

Hi mamali

try under Corrugated Horn
there is a lot of paper about corrugated horns in IEEE
There is some pictures that show 3 method of it

**broken link removed**

RGZ

Oh,sorry.
But I find the paper about L-probe proximity fed-patch antennas from AP. and the Abstract:
A rectangular shorted patch is designed to achieve
a wideband performance and size reduction. The patch size is reduced
to 25% of the full size patch with over 30% matching bandwidth.
A hook shape probe excites the patch proximately. The effect
of hook parameters is investigated. A comparison between the
L-shape and the hook-shape probe is given. Some of the numerical
results are verified experimentally. A 16 elements array is analyzed
with different feeding arrangements indicating an improvement of
the array performance.

Hi mamali,
thanks for your suggesstions.. however I've to design a single p@tch structure.. I've no space for an array configuration .. As a start I just want to understand if I can get a bandwidth of 5 -10 - 15 % (s11< -15 dB) at 14 GHz and a Gain more than 8 dB on the entire bandwidth.. and to get this aim I've to study more articles I can find...

That's the story buddy, hope someone can help me.

Best regards
Lupin

Lupin said:
I've to design a single p@tch structure.. I've no space for an array configuration .. As a start I just want to understand if I can get a bandwidth of 5 -10 - 15 % (s11< -15 dB) at 14 GHz and a Gain more than 8 dB on the entire bandwidth.. and to get this aim I've to study more articles I can find...
at this freq., it could be easily achieved by aperture-fed stacked patches (use foam substrates:er~=1).

marti

Lupin said:
Hi mamali,
thanks for your suggesstions.. however I've to design a single p@tch structure.. I've no space for an array configuration .. As a start I just want to understand if I can get a bandwidth of 5 -10 - 15 % (s11< -15 dB) at 14 GHz and a Gain more than 8 dB on the entire bandwidth.. and to get this aim I've to study more articles I can find...

Best regards
Lupin
Hi Lupin
I think the 10% bandwith of a patch on 14GHz is easily,but the gain,could it can achieve 8dBi ?It is maybe hard.

caocao said:
Lupin said:
Hi mamali,

Best regards
Lupin
Hi Lupin
I think the 10% bandwith of a fix on 14GHz is easily,but the gain,could it can achieve 8dBi ?It is maybe hard.

50% BW (S11<-15) and gain>7dBi was achieved:

Targonski, S.D., Waterhose, and Pozar, "Design of Wide-Band Aperture-Stacked Patch Microstrip Antenna", IEEE trans. Antennas and Propagations, Vol. AP-46, 1998, pp. 1245-1251

marti

Ok, Mamali. Though I'ld like a Gain more than 8 dBi... I tihnk I'll begin to work with this article.. maybe, with some modification I can achieve my goal.I wonder what is the working frequency...
Can u upload or send to me the article?

Thanks in advance
Lupin

Lupin said:
Ok, Mamali. Though I'ld like a Gain more than 8 dBi... I tihnk I'll begin to work with this article.. maybe, with some modification I can achieve my goal.I wonder what is the working frequency...
Can u upload or send to me the article?

Thanks in advance
Lupin

the frequency is 5GHz~10GHz, around 7.5GHz.

In my opinion, the way to improve the Gain is to put a ground plane behind the microstrip obtaining a stripline configuration....
My doubt is that the Radiaton Pattern are not shown...
Anyway I can try to implement the structure with some code..
Are u involved in such type of structures?
Do u share my feelings?

Best regards
Lupin

Lupin said:
In my opinion, the way to improve the Gain is to put a ground plane behind the microstrip obtaining a stripline configuration....
My doubt is that the Radiaton Pattern are not shown...
Anyway I can try to implement the structure with some code..
Are u involved in such type of structures?
Do u share my feelings?

Best regards
Lupin
well, this way you will have a good resonator, not a good antenna. the structure is then do not radiate.suppose an infinite GP, and suppose a probe is at its left side. anything which is on the right side of the GP, have not any influence on the probe, vacume, air, complete metall, or another world! the GP is as mirror, showing just what in common-side. thus, sandwiching a p@tch between two GPs (even if not infinite, but with big dimetiones) do not highly influence the eigenmodes or resonace frequencies of the structure; but hardly reduce its radiation, becouse the outside world do not see anything. and if a small GP is used, then we actually will have a stacked patch configuration.

hope will be helpful,
marti

Maybe I didn't explain my idea very well..

Beginning from the bottom to the top the material sequence is the following:

GP-dielectric-microstrip-dielectric- GP (with coupling aperture)-dielctric-lower patch-dielectric - upper patch.

It's not a resonator, it's a stacked patch atnenna coupled by aperture and with a lower ground plane avoiding the back radiation...
In this way (I think) the Gain can be more than 7.5 dBi.

Best regards
Lupin

dear lupin, could you send us a schematic of the structure, as i see here again, you mentioned two GP. if you have two GP, then the second avoides radiation of first p@tch in upperspace, as the first avoides radiation in lower space.

marti

Sorry Mamali,
unfortunately I´ve no time to send a schematic figure..

The second GP is slotted so the microstrip line is coupled to the lower patch.. I ´ve a stripline configuration but with the upper ground plane with slots...

Is my explanation clearer now?

Best regards
Lupin

I ever designed 2polar L-probe antenna, the isolation is bad

to Lupin
Hello ! interested in results of suggested exciting by symmetric line with window.
How is your desin going ?

hi,

the l-probe feed will be quite difficult to manufacture at high frequency have you tired using any substrate for the probe or are you using form or air?

the stacking performance at about 5GHz was tested before and should be located in either electronics letter or one of the conferences. the radiation pattern should also vary in-band due to the change in execitation modes of the patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back