Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Integrate and dump circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahmed Alaa

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an integrate and dump circuit using an Op amp integrator, but I don't know how to reset the output every T seconds, any one got an idea?

Short out the capacitor with an analogue switch (or single MOSFET).

Keith.

Thanks. I've been using a CMOS switch, I'll try know a single MOSFET and see.

A CMOS switch should work - it depends on which one, how large your capacitance is and how quickly you want it to discharge. If you gave more details I could be more specific.

Using a single MOSFET depends on the voltage you have to discharge and where you are trying to discharge it to. That's why analogue switches have both PMOS and NMOS.

Keith.

I am discharging 1 volt from an 0.5 nF capacitance. I want it to discharge as fast as possible, ideally I want instantaneous resetting as I am implementing this circuit as a part of a BFSK receiver, and I have to reset the output every 1 ms to detect a new symbol that lasts for 1 ms, any delay in the discharge will cause ISI.

What switch have you tried? Instantaneous doesn't exist - you need to put a number on it. To discharge 500pF from 1V in say 1us only takes 500uA so a fairly low grade analogue switch could be able to do that. You have to watch out for charge injection though. By coincidence I am looking for an analogue switch at the moment to switch in <10ns with <10pF of capacitance.

Keith.

Attached pics are for the switch I'm currently testing. Try using it if you're interested.
The high control voltage opens the switch and low voltage closes it.

Finally, I succeeded with my Integrate & dump, the switch I used is attached, you can try it for 10 pF and 10 ns discharge time.

I don't understand your circuit or simulations. Where is the capacitor you are discharging? While your simulation may work, you seem to have a 1 ohm resistor in the base of the transistor. Depending on what you drive the transistor with, you would blow it up. I would have used a MOSFET anyway - a bipolar transistor won't discharge to zero volts.

Keith.

I am sorry, I only included the switch and a simple test for it with no capacitors, I attached now the whole Integrate & dump circuit and its simulation, the switch subcircuit works well with the capacitor, but I don't think you'll be interested in viewing the whole schematic !

I shall consider the 1 ohm resistor issue also.

Thanks a lot for your time and help, I appreciate it.

Hi Ahmed Alaa,

may I remember you that Keith has recommended an "analog switch" (that's an analog gate!). ?
Does your BJT switch work for both polarities of the capacitor voltage?

I think you should look at a small signal MOSFET instead of bipolar. As I mentioned, a bipolar cannot discharge to zero volts - it has a saturation voltage. You can see the problem on your simulations.

Also, bear in mind that with a single transistor you cannot discharge any voltage in any direction. That is fine if you only ever have positive integration voltages, for example - you can put the right transistor the right way round. If you need to be able to handle positive & negative voltages then you will need two transistors.

Keith.

I am integrating unipolar symbols, thus, I have no negative polarity in consideration.
Yes, I realized the problem of saturation voltage and I'll switch to a MOSFET transistor.

Thanks,

Ahmed

Status
Not open for further replies.