Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS antenna as a receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

joskem

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I have designed a simple dipole antenna in HFSS (transmitter). Then, I have designed a second dipole antenna to work as a receiver. How can I find the power received by the receiver antenna?? I have set the lumped port of dipole 1 to 1W, while I scaled the lumped port of dipole 2 to 0W (to make it work as a receiver) - but I don't know if this is correct, or how I can find the power received from dipole 2. Any help is very much appreciated!

After you simulate, make a plot of S21 (between one port and the other) and it will give you the ratio between the power received by one antenna and the power inserted into the other one. If you simulated in one frequency only, go to the simulation information window (forgot how it's called exactly, I'm not in front of it right now) and you can see the S matrix there.

joskem

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your answer! So, all I have to do is to find the accepted power of dipole 1 (Pacc) and S21, and then calculate the product S21*Pacc. Is that right??
What I can't understand is that S21 (according to the bibliography) is a ratio of voltages and not a ratio of powers..Could you please help me on that?? Thank you! :D

Yes,you're right ,S21 is the ratio of voltages, to get power, we shall make a square.

Can you explain if scaling of the lumped port to zero (as joskem defined) is a proper way to make the antenna a receiver?

I want to simulate a receiver antenna by using an incident wave excitation. I know I have to add a lumped port to terminate the antenna. I wonder if I have to scale the lumped port to zero.

excuse me, could someone help me , how to define the excitation power of lumped port ?
I could not find the right place to do it.

Use HFSS>Fields>Edit Sources.

gultepee, thank you.

In my model,

a lumped port for an antenna, and set scaling factor as 0 in "Edit Sources";

an incident plane wave, scaling factor 1;

how to see the simulation result, how can I get the response on the lumped port?

In results-> creat data report , I find only those like S11, Z11,

where is to find the effect of incident plane wave?

Thank you again.

-notius

notius,

i am not sure if editing sources is a good way of simulating receiver antenna.

but if it is so, than i think surface currents on the antenna could be a good way of measuring the effect of the incident wave.

again, i am not sure. i hope someone with more experience can answer these questions.

joskem,

did you finally figure out how to measure power received in Receiving antenna in HFSS?

I have the same problem and would appreciate if you would share your experience with me.

From the above discussion I gathered:

Power transmitted by Tx antenna = Power accepted

Power received by Rx antenna = [S21*Power accepted]^2

Is S21 in dB?
Did you have to set the scaling factor for Rx antenna to 0 W?

Thanks.

Hello. I have designed a simple dipole antenna in HFSS (transmitter). Then, I have designed a second dipole antenna to work as a receiver. How can I find the power received by the receiver antenna?? I have set the lumped port of dipole 1 to 1W, while I scaled the lumped port of dipole 2 to 0W (to make it work as a receiver) - but I don't know if this is correct, or how I can find the power received from dipole 2. Any help is very much appreciated!

can you send me your tx and rx model of hfss at kamalntu@gmail.com

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

can you send me your tx and rx model of hfss at kamalntu@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back