Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FREE electromagnetic simulators, rather than commercial ones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have arranged a summary of contents of this thread in the Wikipedia page
"EM simulation software".
Let`s close the topic.

I do not see any reason to close the thread. If someone knows of a free electromagnetic simulator that is not listed here, they can add to the thread.

Keith

There is no need to close this thread. Anybody whoz aware of new open / free SW can help the people.

I've been recently using the free students version of newFASANT available at www.fasant.com/en/students
I know this software because it was developed in collaboration with my university.

Last edited:

I compiled a list of free EM simulation software along with other things like free CAD software, etc. You can get to it here:

**broken link removed**

If you are looking for short descriptions of the various methods, check out the Computational Electromagnetics course here:

**broken link removed**

There are also notes and complete codes in MATLAB for finite-difference time-domain here:

**broken link removed**

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hi, Where can I download supernec?

There is another free open-source electromagnetic field solver out there! A German product called openEMS , which uses the FDTD method. Matlab or Octave are used as an easy and flexible scripting interface. The outcomes look nice, but no idea about how tedious/simple the setup may be. Here is the link, openems.de

A good set of tutorials are provided to setup different scenarios, as well as a nice wiki page for the documentation. A few scientific publications made use of it.

Here are some screenshots:
**broken link removed**

Horn_Antenna.png

Helix_Antenna.png

Helix_Large_Array_Antenna.png

Bi_Quad_Antenna.png

**broken link removed**
BirdCage_Results.png

MRT_Bore_Antenna_Model.png

MRT_Bore_Antenna_Results.jpg

**broken link removed**

newFASANT - Free Student Version.

hi, Where can I download supernec?

You can download it from here:
https://www.qsl.net/4nec2/

It is well maintained and works pretty well even with Windows 10 x64. I am using it nowadays. It is integrated with a nice geometry builder to enable creating simple geometries with simple clicks. It also talks to a High Frequency (HF) Propagation Prediction and Ionospheric Communications Analysis software called (VOACAP) to predict and plot the geographical coverage (using different propagation models) of the antenna designed using NEC itself. Have a look at the screenshots below:

image046.gifDist.gifGraph.gifimage028.gif

Last edited:

Good news to everyone..

It has come to my attention that CST, the best electromagnetic simulation package today (IMHO), has started offering a free student edition since May, 2015. You can check the following page for the details. https://www.cst.com/academia/student-edition. It is indeed a great initiative from CST to let everyone familiarize with it.

They limit the Tet-Mesh to 10,000, and the files saved using the student edition cannot be opened by the commercial version, and the vise versa. The total download size is significantly smaller (~1 GB) than the that of the commercial package (4 GB+). Enjoy this great feat of German technology, you gotta love it!

DVD-Cover.png

Here's a free magnetic program designed for computer classroom use.

www.Pic2Mag.com - Draw virtual magnets and we draw the magnetic fields.(tm)

l0CRAHw0xnxvKZJXG.gif

Here's a video from the testing of the beta version of the Pic2Mag GPU software. The Pic2Mag GPU version processes magnetic spins in 3d, while the Pic2Mag Pro version works in 2d. I used the same magnet layouts for both versions.

youtube : https://youtu.be/n0WxuKZRu80
download: https://www.pic2mag.com/Pic2Mag_10.mp4

Feel free to share the video with your friends.
The download version has a better resolution than the streaming version on youtube.

polymag07195.png

Last edited by a moderator:

hi guys. I am new in the forum and in the field of antennas so I want to suggest me a program with which I can design an antenna with multiple frequencies basedd on metamaterials. And a user guide for it.
Thank you!

You can also try the student version of newFASANT (**broken link removed**)

Do you know it?

there are few new advancement such as;
Ansoft's HFSS
CST MWS
AND
COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS

There is software in which one can design the IC and it is free of cost Symica DE.

**broken link removed**

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. But still, I can't find any software that is suitable for magnetic loop antennas simulation. I would like to simulate RFID (13.56MHz) antenna systems.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Xavier

Hi all,

Thanks for your help. But still, I can't find any software that is suitable for magnetic loop antennas simulation. I would like to simulate RFID (13.56MHz) antenna systems.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Xavier

I have student that did that using COMSOL + Cadence tools

I have student that did that using COMSOL + Cadence tools

Hey,

I actually tried QuickField and it seems to work just fine for my application, and it is free (Student Version).

I thank you though, I might consider Comsol for further simulations.

Xavier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back