Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What are the applications of FIR filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamanth.h

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what the real time/industry applications of an FIR filter are?

A related question that was asked in an interview was - can the input to the filter be data directly from memory?

(I was thinking that you might need some controller/processor to do that because it will decide what the data stored in the memory is related to. If the data represents audio/video signals, only then will it make sense to put i through the FIR, not otherwise. Please confirm.)

Thank you.

Shamanth.

Thank you Mathuranathan, for your inputs.

I am still not sure what exactly the applications of an FIR filter are? And even if you can connect he data directly from memory, my question is, for what purpose would you do that? As in, for what purpose would you make some data go through FIR filtering? I am not from DSP background, I am a Digital Design guy. I would highly appreciate it if you could give me an example in terms digital systems with an end application which can be put to use.

Thank you once again.

Shamanth.

You don't know what a filter is used for?

I know that a filter is used to suppress unwanted frequency components in the input signal. But I am looking for a specific application-oriented example wrt Digital Design.

FIR filters are often used in Digital Communications in the IF stages of the receiver.

For example, a digital radio receives and downconverts the analog signal to the IF frequency and then converts it to digital with a D/A. Then uses the FIR filter to select the desired frequency.

This is very used in Software Radio. It allows easily adjustable filters, with good rejection, without changing hardware.

shamanth.h

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
There is nearly nothing to add - perhaps one FIR property which in many cases is important: FIR filters have a linear phase function (opposite to IIR filters).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back