Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing a dc step-up type for solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

wassabi

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to step up 3-5V from an alkaline battery to ~50V to charge a capacitor, the capacitor then provides current to actuate my solenoid.

I am actuating a solenoid powered by batteries for a mobile project. In my tests raising the voltage gets the solenoid to move faster and with a shorter duty cycle. Raising the voltage as high as I want is using too many batteries and adding too much bulk. Right now I am using four 9Vs to achieve 36V and plan to take it even higher.
This is my simple test circuit I have been actuating the solenoid with. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwest2/4684625445/sizes/o/

I came across a circuit drawing that got me thinking about stepping up the voltage from some lower voltage cells. In theory a few AAAs should provide me with enough power. https://www.edn.com/archives/1995/081795/17di6.htm

This seems perfect, but I will have to redesign around my own requirements. I don't even know if a boost type stepup circuit is right for me. There are so many different types of stepups, I am hesitating about which type would be best for my application. If someone could point me in the right direction and link to a sample circuit, I can go from there. Thanks.

I think I made a decision. I am leaning toward a Step-Up (Boost), FlyBack, Sepic.

SEPIC converters are readily available, provide me with the voltage boost I want, and can even handle currents up to 5A.

Status
Not open for further replies.